Best Cheap Laptop for Music Production – There are a lot of great laptops out there that will do well with running music production software. While looking for a budget laptop, make sure to never skimp on RAM, CPU, and a hard drive or solid state drive.
Having a fast, capable processor will enable you to work efficiently and save you from waiting several minutes just to start your computer up and get things running. RAM allows for more plugins to be used in your DAW and works hand in hand with your CPU.
If your processor isn’t fast enough, you’ll get issues like latency while recording, and if your RAM isn’t big enough, you’ll get issues like your plugins running slowly or crashing. This is why having a good computer is so important.
That being said, don’t forget to look at older computers, especially ones from Apple. They can be just as good as newer computers and you’ll be able to save much more money if you buy something that’s been refurbished or used.
For more information on the best computers to use for music production to help you choose the best laptops and desktops within your budget, be sure to check out the articles and guides that we have coming up in the near future!back to menu ↑
- AMD Ryzen 3 3200U Dual Core Processor (Up to 3.5GHz); 4GB DDR4 Memory; 128GB PCIe NVMe SSD
- 15.6 inches full HD (1920 x 1080) widescreen LED backlit IPS display; AMD Radeon Vega 3 Mobile Graphics
- 1 USB 3.1 Gen 1 port, 2 USB 2.0 ports & 1 HDMI port with HDCP support
- 802.11ac Wi-Fi; Backlit Keyboard; Up to 7.5 hours battery life
- Windows 10 in S mode. Maximum power supply wattage: 65 Watts
back to menu ↑
- 15.6 inch Full HD 4 Way NanoEdge bezel display with stunning 88% screen-to-body ratio
- Intel Core i3-8145U Processor (4M Cache, up to 3.9 GHz)
- 8GB RAM and 128GB M.2 SSD; Windows 10 in S mode (switchable to Windows 10 Home)
- Ergonomic backlit chiclet keyboard with fingerprint sensor activated via Windows Hello
- Exclusive Ergolift design for an improved typing position
- Comprehensive connections including USB 3.1 Type-C , USB 3.1 Type-A, USB 2.0, and HDMI; Gigabit Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac) (*USB Transfer speed may vary. Learn more at ASUS website)
back to menu ↑
- 【Display】15.6-inch HD (1366 x 768) Anti-Glare LED-Backlit Non-touch Display
- 【High Speed】Memory is 16GB high-bandwidth RAM to smoothly run multiple applications and browser tabs all at once; 256GB PCIe Solid State Drive allows to fast bootup and data transfer + 1TB Hard Disk Drive for ample storage space
- 【Tech Specs】Qualcomm DW1810, 1 x 1, 802.11ac with Wi-Fi, Wireless LAN, Bluetooth 4.1, Media Card Reader | HDMI | 2 x USB 3.1 |1 x USB 2.0 | Headphone/ Mic, Windows 10 Pro
- 【Celeron Processor】Intel Celeron Processor 4205U (2MB Cache, 1.8 GHz)
- 【Included in the pacakge】Mousepad from PConline365
back to menu ↑
- QLED DISPLAY - Stream and browse on a gorgeous QLED touchscreen which touts virtually 100% color volume and stays vibrant even in direct sunlight
- SLIM 360 DESIGN - Seamlessly convert your ultra-slim, Royal Blue aluminum device from laptop to tablet in seconds
- POWERHOUSE PROCESSOR - Enjoy minimal lag, near-instantaneous startup, and 512GB of storage with the formidable 10th generation Intel Core i7 processor
- LONG-LASTING BATTERY - Work and stream to your heart’s content thanks to the fast-charging battery that lasts up to 20 hours, made complete with Wireless PowerShare’s ability to charge your other wireless devices right on the trackpad
- BLUETOOTH PEN - Make your screen a canvas as you take notes, sketch, or use intuitive gestures to start slideshows or adjust volume all with the Bluetooth-enabled S Pen
- WI-FI 6 - Download content in seconds with network speeds up to 3x faster than previous generation Wi-Fi
- WINDOWS 10 HOME OS - Built-in and ready to go, Windows’ most powerful operating system features all the familiar programs you know and love
- SOUND BY AKG - Bring your content to life with layers of rich, textured sound that perfectly complements the brilliant QLED screen
- SMART AND SECURE - Improved security features now backed by Windows Hello means you can trust the important things will stay safe
- THUNDERBOLT PORT - Have access to two Thunderbolt 3 ports and one USB-C port
back to menu ↑
- Full view touch Display: IPS display, Resolution: 1920 x 1080 (FHD) 14-inch FHD screen with 4.8mm bezels Anti-glare, glossy display” , Screen-to-body ratio of 84, thickness of 15.9mm contrast ratio, Aesthetic design very portable and easy to use, As small and powerful as your phone charger, Automatically carry on where you left off, Drag files/images/text between your virtual phone and laptop ,Use the mouse to operate your phone ,Handle phone and laptop messages from your laptop.
- Light and thin laptop with long battery life: New generation AMD CPU & GPU with Battery life up to nearly 10 hours powered with Type-C charger & fast charging 56 Wh gives you Long Battery Life. Having weight of just 1.38 kg & Shark Fin 2.0 heat dissipation. Huawei's full view display and continues the Huawei tradition of lightweight and streamlined laptops with minimal bezels. With a greatly enhanced CPU efficiency, the laptop is perfect for a variety of complex office scenarios.
- Powerful performance: AMD Ryzen5 3500U,with Radeon Vega 8 Graphics, also having powerful Wi-Fi 2x2 MIMO, new Gen Intel Processor boosts performance.
- Innovative cooling design: Huawei Shark Fin 2.0 fan with S-shaped blades cooling solution also with low computer noise, Automatically protects against overheating, revolutions per minute and increases airflow, Huawei Multi-Screen Collaboration , Fingerprint login , One-touch login & startup ,Recessed Camera, TÜV Rheinland Certified, Protects your eyes by reducing blue light. International Model, No Warranty.
back to menu ↑
- 10th Gen Intel Core i5-10210U 1.6 GHz, (6MB Cache, up to 4.2 GHz, 4 cores) Intel UHD Graphics
- 14 inch IPS Full HD (1920 x 1080) LED backlight Display, Anti-glare, 170° viewing angle, 250 cd/m²
- 8 GB DDR4 SDRAM Memory 2666MHz, 1 TB HDD SATA 6Gb/s / 5400 rpm
- USB 3.1 Gen 1 | USB 3.1 Gen 1 (Always On) | USB 2.0 | USB-C 3.1 Gen 1/DisplayPort (Power Delivery) | Headphone/microphone combo jack | HDMI | LAN
- 802.11a/b/g/n/ac, Bluetooth 5.0, Realtek RTL8822CE - M.2 Card, Weight: 3.73 lbs
back to menu ↑
- More Power, More Cores: The 8-Core 10th Gen Intel Core i7-10875H processor provides the ultimate level of performance with up to 5. 1GHz Max Turbo.
- Studio Ready: The NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super with Max-Q Design (8GB GDDR6 VRAM) graphics is up to 25% faster than the original RTX 20 Series with more cores and higher clocks.
- Vivid Visuals: The 4K OLED touch display delivers blazing fast 1ms response time and a wide color range covering 100% of the DCI-P3 space, while the HDR 400 True Black ensures deep blacks and vibrant colors.
- Thin and Compact: The CNC aluminum unibody frame houses incredible performance in the most compact footprint possible, while remaining remarkably durable and just 0. 7" thin.
- Innovative Cooling: A unique vacuum sealed, liquid filled, copper vapor chamber spans the heat generating components and is the key to getting maximum performance and user comfort in a compact, thin design.
- Connectivity technology: HDMI
back to menu ↑
- AMD Ryzen 7 4700U Octa-Core Mobile Processor (Up to 4.1 GHz) with Radeon Graphics | 8GB LPDDR4 Memory | 512GB PCIe NVMe SSD
- 14" Full HD Widescreen IPS LED-backlit display (1920 x 1080 resolution; 16:9 aspect ratio)
- Intel wireless Wi-Fi 6 AX200 802.11ax | HD webcam (1280 x 720) | Backlit keyboard | Fingerprint reader
- 1 - USB Type-C port USB 3. 2 Gen 2 (up to 10 Gbps) DisplayPort over USB Type-C & USB Charging, 1- USB 3. 2 Gen 1 port (featuring power-off charging), 1 - USB 2. 0 port & 1 - HDMI port
- Just 0.63" thin and 2.65 pounds and up to 11.5 hours of battery life
back to menu ↑
- 13.3 inch Full HD (1920 x 1080) Wide View 4-way NanoEdge bezel display
- Latest 11th generation Latest 11th generation Intel Core i7-1165G7 Quad Core Processor (12M Cache, up to 4.70 GHz, with IPU)
- Windows 10 Home
- Fast storage and memory featuring 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD with 16GB LPDDR4X RAM
- Built-in IR camera for facial recognition sign in with Windows Hello
- ErgoLift hinge and backlit keyboard and NumberPad
- Extensive connectivity with HDMI 2.0b, Thunderbolt 4 via USB Type C, Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax), Bluetooth 5.0, USB 3.2 Type-A, and Micro SD card reader (USB Transfer speed may vary. Learn more on ASUS website)
- Sleek and lightweight 2.45 lbs for comfortable portability
- MIL-STD 810G military standard for reliability and durability
- USB-C to audio jack adapter included
back to menu ↑
- Intel Core i5-7200U 2.50 GHz up to 3.10 GHz with Turbo Boost Technology with 3MB cache.
- 8GB DDR4 SDRAM (2 x 4 GB), 1 TB 5400 rpm SATA hard drive.
- 15.6 in diagonal HD SVA WLED-backlit touchscreen (1366 x 768), 10-finger multi-touch support
- Full-size island-style keyboard, touchpad with multi-touch gesture support
- Multi-format SD media card reader, 2 USB 3.1, 1 USB 2.0, 1HDMI, 1 RJ-45, 1 headphone/microphone combo.
back to menu ↑
Best Cheap Laptop for Music Production – BUYER’S GUIDE
- The CPU is what powers the laptop as it processes commands. In music terms, this dictates how many virtual instruments you can run at the same time, or how many effects you can add, or how quickly you can export your finished tracks. Intel and AMD have the monopoly here, and you get what you pay for. For audio and music production we would recommend looking at Intel’s i5 line, or AMD’s Ryzen 5 line, although the lower-end CPUs will suffice if budget is a sticking point – you might just be staring at progress bars a bit longer.
- RAM is a bit more straightforward. It dictates how large the arrangements you can create are, and how many audio files you can work with at a given time. A laptop with 4GB of RAM will technically allow you to open music production apps like Garageband or Ableton Live and create short, basic arrangements, but you’ll quickly run into a wall where the laptop can’t cope with what you’re asking it to do. Look for a minimum of 8GB here.
- Storage will come down to one of two options; HDD or SSD. Hard-disk drives are cheaper and can hold large volumes of data, but are typically slower which means streaming sample libraries isn’t ideal. SSDs, on the other hand, are lightning quick but do cost more.
The one other essential non-laptop component for music production is a USB audio interface; this effectively outsources the laptop’s sound card and allows you to record electric guitars, microphones and other instruments into the computer, as well as hooking up a pair of studio monitors or studio headphones to listen back to your work.
- Backup your music with the best external hard drives
- The best audio interfaces for all budgets
What are the non-essentials?
If you’re buying a laptop for general use, with a bit of music production thrown in occasionally, then you will likely have other factors to consider. The size and resolution of the screen, for example, or the battery life. These are all worthy considerations and shouldn’t be discounted, but bear in mind that the more non-negotiable things you have on your wishlist, the higher the cost will be. If the laptop is being bought with music production, and only music production, in mind then you should keep your focus on performance over aesthetics.
Many Windows-based laptops come stuffed with plenty of ‘helpful’ non-essential software and apps – known as ‘bloatware’ – which you’ll want to discard. And, while it might sound strange in an article about music production to tell you to ignore the laptop’s speakers, that’s exactly what we’re going to do. For watching YouTube videos or holding video calls, laptop speakers are fine but for audio and music production they’re not going to give you the results you want. So, while it might sound appealing to have B&O or Beats speakers in your laptop, in reality they aren’t going to have much of an effect on your music production so don’t make them a deal-breaker.
- The best headphones for music production
- The best studio monitors for all budgets, from budget to pro
What are the ‘nice to haves’?
As your recording career progresses, you may find you want to add to your studio with extra gear like MIDI keyboards, home studio mixers, drum machines and more. Most kit these days connect to your computer via USB, so you’ll want to ensure you have a decent number of USB ports. Increasingly brands are looking to incorporate USB-C into their gear so look out for these ports where possible too. This is also useful when using an external hard drive, where the combination of USB-C and an external solid-state drive (SSD) makes light work of large audio or sample files.
Another ‘nice to have’ element is the option to upgrade components in the laptop yourself in the future. This won’t be possible on every laptop, but having the ability to chuck in a couple of extra sticks of RAM can have a significant impact on overall performance.
Start small, start clever
Realistically, not everyone can afford the latest Apple MacBook Pro or Dell XPS. Hence, we all have to sometimes make compromises in what we want versus what we can afford. It would be great to have a touch-enabled 4K screen, all-day battery life, plenty of horsepower, and all those other headline features. But we have to cut our cloth accordingly, right?
That’s not to say music production can’t be done on a budget laptop. It absolutely can, as we’ll outline in our recommendations below, but just be aware that certain concessions may have to be made. Start small, before working your way up. This way, when you reach the skill level where you are making 72 track arrangements featuring a symphony orchestra, you’ll know the equipment inside out and have a handle on what’s really important from a music production laptop.back to menu ↑
Frequently Asked Questionsback to menu ↑
What Laptop Should I Buy For Music Production?
Finding a suitable laptop for music production use, basically boils down to a few important factors, which digital audio workstation you plan on using and what operating system you prefer to use is the most important.back to menu ↑
Best Budget Laptop For Music Production?
Unfortunately in the world of audio production the faster the better, so as to avoid crashes and glitches or latency loss in the middle of recordings. The top laptops for audio production we have looked at in this article all make for reasonably priced budget options.
The best value for money in our opinion would be the Alienware or the Razor Blade Stealth, each are gaming laptops with high-end graphics that have good sound processing capability, they have superior CPUs and great clock speeds and fair RAM and storage. They aren’t however exactly cheap.
The cheapest option on our list is the tablet option, the Lenovo yoga book, but it only runs an Android operating system so won’t manage most full DAW. It makes for a good option if cash is of concern, for younger users and those just curiously branching out into songwriting. There are a decent amount of Apps that have great content for basic audio production. If your budget simply won’t stretch to the $1000 dollar mark this might be an ideal starting point for you.back to menu ↑
Which Is Better For Music Production – Laptop or Desktop?
Ultimately a desktop is better for music production especially considering that they can be upgraded and built-on with relative ease. Though much more capable, they have their drawbacks meaning they need to be set up and remain where they are located. They are a worthy investment if you’re serious about setting up a home studio, however, we live in a modern world that is constantly on the move and being able to take your work with you is every bit as valuable.back to menu ↑
For some, the specs on computer products can read like gibberish, and there is a lot of misinformation out there which can confuse things further. In this technological age, music production is increasingly becoming an accessible option for many of us musically inclined folk.
With many competent and competitive DAWs available for home studio setups. For the most part our home studio setups require a Mac or PC, however, we are seeing a range of notebook and laptop-style products from other competitors which are providing a much more compact, portable production solution.