Best Laptop for 400 – The best laptops under $400 usually have fast SSD or eMMC memory, 4GB or more RAM, and a good HD display.
If you want the best overall laptop under $400, my recommendation would be the Acer Slim 5. It’s a fast and lightweight budget laptop with powerful enough hardware to handle light gaming.
For those of you on a tight budget, go for the Dell Inspiron Chromebook. It’s easy to use and will handle everyday tasks without lag. If portability is your main concern, then my recommendation would be the Microsoft Surface Go.
Hopefully, this has helped you in choosing the best laptop under $400.
It isn’t easy to select the best sub-$400 laptops as there are several laptop brands and devices in the market to choose from. However, the final selection is at your discretion and based on personal and professional preferences.
For instance, if you’re looking for an overall best option, the Lenovo IdeaPad 3 is a good choice. However, if you seek a good-looking thin and light laptop, it is advisable to go with the Acer Aspire 5.
if you are looking for a unique device that can handle intricate online schooling requirements without exceeding the budget, the Microsoft Surface 3 is the best choice for students who are looking for a good sub-$400 laptop.back to menu ↑
- ❤ Windows 10 Home OS——Offers more powerful performance, brings you more smooth and wonderful user experience.Powered by Intel N4000 Quad Core processor, offers you smooth operation and stable multitasking experience.
- ❤ Intel HD Graphics——On-processor graphics with shared video memory provide high image quality for Internet use, basic photo editing and give gamers a full suite for gaming dominance and offer gamers a truly seamless gaming experience.
- ❤ 14.1 inch 1920 x 1080——Offers good experience for watching videos and browsing the Web. The 14.1-inch anti-glare screen gives you a wider field of view, even under strong outdoor lighting. In addition, night mode and color adjustment will help reduce eye strain.
- ❤ 8GB RAM And 256GB ROM——Substantial high-bandwidth LPDDR4 8GB RAM to smoothly run your games, photos and video-editing applications. 256G SSD Storage Capacity Provides room to store pictures, videos, music and more.
- ❤ 7 ports available in one——Herobook is equipped with high-speed 1 x USB 3.0+1 x USB2.0 , fast charge DC port, headphone jack,Micro-SD card slot, TF card.You can connect the device to high-definition monitor or projector.
back to menu ↑
- 15.6 inch Full HD (1920x1080) 4-way NanoEdge bezel display with a stunning 88% screen-to-body ratio
- Compatible with Google Classroom; run Google Classroom on Microsoft Edge or Internet Explorer 11
- Latest 10th Gen Intel Core i3-1005G1 CPU (4M Cache, up to 3.4 GHz)
- 8 GB DDR4 RAM and 128 GB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD
- Ergonomic backlit keyboard with fingerprint sensor activated via Windows Hello
- Exclusive Ergolift design for an improved typing position
- Comprehensive connections including USB 3.2 Type-C, USB 3.2 Type-A, USB 2.0, and HDMI; Gigabit Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac) (USB Transfer speed may vary. Learn more at ASUS website)
- Windows 10 in S mode exclusively runs apps from the Microsoft Store. To install an app that isn't available in the Microsoft Store, simply switch out of S mode in three easy steps. There's no charge to switch out of S mode
back to menu ↑
- 【Powerful Performance with Intel Pentium 6405U 】Intel Pentium Gold 6405U (2.4 GHz base frequency, 2 MB L3 cache, 2 cores)
- 【Customization】Upgrade to 4GB DDR4 SDRAM, 500GB HDD, No DVD
- 【Display and graphics】15.6" diagonal HD (1366 x 768) micro-edge BrightView 220 nits 45% NTSC; Intel UHD Graphics 605
- 【Connectivity】Realtek RTL8821CE 802.11b/g/n/ac (1x1) and Bluetooth 4.2 Combo, 1xUSB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-C (Data Transfer Only, 5 Gb/s signaling rate); 2xUSB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-A (Data Transfer Only); 1 AC smart pin; 1 HDMI 1.4b; 1 headphone/microphone combo; 1 multi-format SD media card reader
- 【Rock eDigital Bundle】Windows 10 Home, 3-cell, 41 Wh Li-ion up to 8 hours, 14.11" x 9.53" x 0.78", 3.93lbs, Scarlet Red, free Rock eDigital USB 3.0 Flash Drive
back to menu ↑
- MediaTek MT8173C Processor (4 Core, 2x A72 @2.1GHz + 2x A53 @1.7GHz)
- 11.6" HD (1366x768) IPS 300nits Anti-glare Display, 10-point Multi-touch ; Integrated PowerVR GX6250
- 4GB LPDDR3 / soldered to system board
- 64GB eMMC flash memory on board
- Lenovo Factory Refurbished ; 1 YEAR LENOVO Warranty
back to menu ↑
- AMD Ryzen 3 3200U Dual Core Processor (Up to 3.5GHz); 4GB DDR4 Memory; 128GB PCIe NVMe SSD
- 15.6 inches full HD (1920 x 1080) widescreen LED backlit IPS display; AMD Radeon Vega 3 Mobile Graphics
- 1 USB 3.1 Gen 1 port, 2 USB 2.0 ports & 1 HDMI port with HDCP support
- 802.11ac Wi-Fi; Backlit Keyboard; Up to 7.5 hours battery life
- Windows 10 in S mode. Maximum power supply wattage: 65 Watts
back to menu ↑
- 128GB M.2 PCIe NVMe Solid State Drive
- 4GB, 4Gx1, DDR4, 2666MHz
- 15.6-inch HD (1366 x 768) Anti -Glare LED-Backlit Non-touch Display
- Intel UHD Graphics 610
- Windows 10 Home
back to menu ↑
- High res 10 inch PixelSense: Display designed to be viewed, touched, and written on
- Lightest surface yet, starting at 1.15 pounds. Touch: 10 point multi touch
- All day battery life, with upto 9 hours of unplugged power. Ambient light sensor
- Runs Windows 10 Home in S Mode, streamlined for security and superior performance
- Includes multi tasking USB C, fast charging surface connect, and headphone jack. Use it in Laptop, Tablet or Studio Mode
back to menu ↑
- Yoga 2-in-1 convertible ultrabook
- Intel Quad-Core Processor (2M Cache 1. 83GHz (Burst up to 2. 25GHz)), 4GB DDR3 memory (support up to 8GB) |
- 128GB SSD storage Hard Drive
- 11. 6" HD LED-backlit IPS Touchscreen (1366x768) Display, Integrated webcam, NO Optical Drive, 4-Cell (35 WHr) Lithium-Ion
- Windows 10 Home 64-bit English Operating System
back to menu ↑
- Chromebook runs on Chrome OS - an operating system by Google that is built for the way we live today. It comes with built-in virus protection, updates automatically, boots up in seconds and continues to stay fast over time. (Internet connection is required)
- All the Google apps you know and love come standard on every Chromebook, which means you can edit, download, and convert Microsoft Office files in Google Docs, Sheets and Slides
- Get access to more than 2 million Android apps from Google Play to learn and do more.
- Chromebooks come with built-in storage for offline access to your most important files and an additional 100GB of Google Drive space to ensure that all of your files are backed up automatically.
- CB514-1HT-C6EV comes with Intel Celeron N3450 Quad-Core Processor (Up to 2.2GHz), 14" Full HD Widescreen IPS LED-backlit 10-Finger Multi-Touch Display, 4GB LPDDR4 Memory, 64GB eMMC, Backlit Keyboard, Google Chrome and Up to 12-hour Battery Life
back to menu ↑
- Laptop for work, school and play: With office 365 and 1 TB of cloud storage, this device combines functionality, connectivity, style, and value
- Essential productivity: This nimble laptop delivers the essential productivity and entertainment you want for school or home, without slowing you down
- Office 365 for one year: Get full access to Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, OneNote, Access, and 1 TB of One Drive storage for 1 year
- Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) N4000 processor, dual-core, 1.1 GHz base frequency, up to 2.6 GHz burst frequency
- Display: 14-inch diagonal HD SVA bright view WLED-backlit display (1366 x 768)
- Memory: 4 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM (not upgradable)
- Storage: 64 GB eMMC
- Battery life: Up to 14 hours and 15 minutes (video playback), up to 11 hours and 30 minutes (wireless streaming)
- Thin and light (unpackaged): 13.27 inches (W) x 8.90 inches (D) x 0.70 inch (H); 3.17 pounds
- Operating system and warranty: Windows 10 Home in S mode and 1-year limited hardware warranty
back to menu ↑
Best Laptop for 400- BUYER’S GUIDE
In the best laptops under $400, you’ll usually find an SSD or eMMC memory. Both are faster than a traditional hard drive (HDD). An SSD is the preferred option since it has faster read and write speed. The SSD also has the advantage that you can upgrade it at a later point. In contrast, eMMC memory is often soldered onto the laptop, so you won’t be able to upgrade it.
In this price range, you usually won’t be able to save much data. Some laptops will have a tiny 16GB memory card that will fill up quickly.
Aim for at least 64GB of storage
If you want an affordable laptop under $400 and still save lots of data, your best option is to buy an external hard drive or save your files in the cloud. An external is a one time purchase that you plug into the laptops USB port. Cloud storage usually has a monthly or annual fee. Two good services that allow you to save data on the cloud is Google Drive and Dropbox.
Having more RAM will make your laptop better at multitasking.
Laptops for less than $400 generally have 4GB RAM. This is good enough in most cases, but if you want to run a ram intensive applications such as editing software or running many apps at the same time, it’s on the lower end.
Choosing the right size for your laptop screen can be a bit challenging. In the 400 dollar price range, you can find everything from small 10-inch notebooks up to bulky 17-inch laptops. If you want a portable laptop, it can be worth choosing a smaller screen, while a larger screen is preferred for media viewing and gaming.
Another important aspect of the display is the resolution. A higher resolution will make the images on the screen look better. It will also often increase productivity since you can have more stuff open on the same display.
Aim to get a display with at least a resolution of 1366 x 768 (HD)
If you plan to use your laptop in sunlight, make sure the screen is bright enough. A screens brightness is measured in nits. If you want to use it outside in direct sunlight, aim for at least 400 nits brightness.
There can be huge perforemance difference between integrated GPUs (Source)
The graphics card (GPU) is often not something you need to think about in a laptop under $400. Almost any GPU will work fine for non-demanding laptop use. It’s not until you start doing something demanding for the laptop, such as gaming, that the graphics card starts to matter.
Both AMD and Intel have their own Integrated graphics cards. Sometimes there are significant performance differences between two integrated graphics cards. If you, for example, compare the Intel HD graphics 400 in the Dell Inspiron laptop against the Intel UHD 620 in the Asus Vivobook, you’ll notice that the UHD 620 has considerably better performance.
Don’t expect to run any modern games on most laptops under $400. If you’re a gamer on a budget, check out the best gaming laptop under $500 and if you want to play the lastest games, check out the best gaming laptops under $1000.
You’ll usually find either an Intel or AMD processor in laptops under $400. Both brands have good options.
The most common Intel Core Processor in this price range is the Intel Core i3 CPU. You can find a few budget laptops with an Intel Core i5 CPU. Most of the time, an Intel Core i5 CPU has better performance than an Intel Core i3 CPU, but it will depend on the CPU generation. The later Intel Core generation, the better performance.
The latest Intel Core generation at the moment is the 10th generation Intel processors.back to menu ↑
Frequently Asked Questions
What features should you look for in a $400 laptop?
If you are willing to spend a meager 400 dollars for a new machine, you must have realistic expectations. Expected features must include a decent chunk of RAM, long-lasting battery, portability, decent display, and a generous array of ports.
Can you play games on the budget laptop?
A budget notebook can only support casual games and isn’t powerful enough to play graphic-intensive games due to the lack of a dedicated graphics card. An integrated graphics card cannot process frame rates fast enough and almost every device on our list is unfit for hardcore and professional gaming.
Is a $400 laptop good enough for professional tasks?
A $400 laptop is a decent choice for handling video calls, spreadsheet processing, and basic productivity tasks that require minimal levels of professional indulgence. However, if you are looking for a device that can handle more demanding tasks like applications, editing, and more, the one with a decent chunk of RAM needs to be considered.
Are sub-$400 laptops powerful enough for Video and Photo Editing?
For professional editors who use intricate software sets like Lightroom, Camtasia, and more, $400 laptops aren’t powerful enough, despite the RAM upgradeability. However, online photo and video editing are well-supported.
Why do most budget notebooks offer better battery backup?
Most budget notebooks have underpowered or mid-range processing components that are power-efficient. Moreover, these gadgets are only used for basic productivity and academic tasks which puts minimal stress on the battery unlike the gadgets dedicated towards high-end gaming.
Buying a budget laptop does not always have to mean compromises, especially when you’re spending $400 for it. At this price, you can get a pretty well-specced laptop with mainstream Intel or AMD processor, fast SSD storage, 4+ GB RAM, a sharp 1080p display, and some of them even have a backlit keyboard! What else could you expect from a laptop that costs under $400? Of course, it cannot run the latest AAA games or handle demanding workloads, but most people buying budget laptops don’t have to deal with such programs. If you have to, then there are some budget notebooks under $400 with powerful integrated graphics that can handle minor photo video-editing jobs and even gaming up to an extent.