As an Amazon Associate We earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
Best Laptop For Biomedical Engineering Students – Buying a laptop for a biomedical program isn’t as complicated. You only have to take a few specifications into consideration before making the buy. Since biomedicine doesn’t demand as many resources from a laptop, you’re likely to go for aesthetics with decent power. The below-mentioned laptops do a really good job, and they look good doing it as well.
Best Laptop For Biomedical Engineering Students – ROUND UP
We know how difficult it is to find the right laptop when you have so many options, but don’t worry. If you carefully read specs and compare different products, you can find your dream laptop. Here are some of the ideal specs a laptop must-have if you are considering it for biomedical engineering.
1. Acer Nitro 5
- 10th Generation Intel Core i5-10300H Processor (Up to 4.5GHz)
- 15" Full HD Widescreen IPS LED-backlit 144Hz Refresh Display | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Ti Graphics with 4 GB of dedicated GDDR6 VRAM
- 8GB DDR4 2933MHz Memory | 256GB NVMe SSD (2 x PCIe M.2 Slots - 1 Slot Open for Easy Upgrades) & 1 - Available Hard Drive Bay
- LAN: Killer Ethernet E2600 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN | Wireless: Intel Wireless Wi-Fi 6 AX201 802.11ax
- Backlit Keyboard | Acer CoolBoost Technology with Twin Fans and Quad Exhaust Ports Design
2. HP Spectre X360
- 360° Flip-and-Fold Design, 1.8GHz 10th Gen Intel i7-10510U Quad-Core (up to 4.9GHz)
- 15.6" Diagonal 4K UHD WLED Touch Display (3840 x 2160) 340 nits, NVIDIA GeForce MX330 Graphics (2GB)
- 512GB SSD + 32GB Intel Optane, 16GB DDR4 SDRAM, SD Card Reader, Bang & Olufsen Quad speakers
- Windows 10 Home, Intle Wi-Fi 6 AX 201(2x2) + Bluetooth 5.0, Backlit Keyboard with Numeric Keypad, Fingerprint Reader
- 13.5 Hours Battery Life; Ports and Slots: 1 x Thunderbolt 3 Type-C; 1 x USB Type-C; 1 x HDMI 2.0; 1 x USB Type-A; 1 x AC smart pin; 1 x Headphone/Microphone combo; 1 x Media Card Reader
3. Dell XPS 15
- Enjoy a 16:10 display that features a stunning edge-to-edge view, now with 922k more pixels on 4K Ultra HD+.
- Equipped with 100% Adobe RGB, 94% DCI-P3 color gamut, VESA certified DisplayHDR 400, and Dolby Vision, this display delivers more than 16 million ultra-vivid colors that are 40 times brighter than ever before
- With a 62% larger touchpad, 5% larger screen, and 5.6% smaller footprint, every element is carefully considered—from its inlayed stainless logos to its high-polished diamond-cut sidewalls
- Integrated Eyesafe display technology helps reduce harmful blue light.
- Corning Gorilla Glass 6 is tough, damage resistant, durable, elegant and allows for no flex in its display
4. Dell XPS 9560
- 7th Generation Intel Core i5-7300HQ Quad Core Processor (6M cache, up to 3.5 GHz)
- 8GB DDR4-2400MHz up to 32GB (additional memory sold separately)
- 256GB PCIe Solid State Drive, No Optical Drive
- 15.6-inch 4K Ultra HD (3840 x 2160) InfinityEdge touch display
- Windows 10 Home 64bit English
- NOTE: Refer the User Manual from the Technical Specification before use which is highly recommended.
5. Microsoft Surface Pro 7
- 10th Generation Intel Core i7 (10th Gen) 1065G7 / 1.3 GHz
- 16GB of RAM, 512GB SSD Storage, 10.5 Hour Battery Life
- 12.3 Inch (2736 x 1824 Resolution) 10-point multi-touch Display
- SDXC Media Card Slot, USB Type-C, USB 3.0 Type-A, 802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax Wi-F,| Bluetooth 5.0,Windows 10 Pro (64-Bit)
- Included in Surface Pro 7 i7 16gb/512gb/win pro Bundle: Microsoft Surface Pen –Platinum, Microsoft Type Cover – Black & GizPro USB Type-C to HDMI / VGA / DVI Adapter
6. Dell Inspiron 577
- 7th Generation Intel Core i7-7700HQ Quad Core (6MB Cache, Base Frequency 2.8 GHz, Max Turbo Frequency up to 3.8 GHz)
- 16GB, 2400MHz, DDR4; up to 32GB (additional memory sold separately) [16G2D]
- 512GB Pie Solid State Drive , No Optical Drive option
- 15.6-inch FHD (1920 x 1080) Anti-Glare LED-Backlit Display
- Windows 10 Home 64-bit English
7. Microsoft Surface Book 2
- Processor: 8th Gen Intel Core i7-8650U (quad-core) with up to 4.20 GHz Max Turbo
- Memory: 8GB RAM 1866Mhz LPDDR3
- Storage: 256GB Solid State Drive. Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 discrete GPU w/2GB GDDR5 graphics memory
- Display: 13.5-inch PixelSense Display, 10-Point Multi-Touch G5 (3000x2000) 267 PPI
- Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
8. Microsoft Surface Laptop Go
- Sleek design and standout value. At just 2.44 pounds, it’s light, portable, and easy to keep by your side throughout the day.
- Be productive, browse, and binge watch on the 12.4” PixelSense touchscreen display.
- Convenient security with Windows Hello sign-in, plus Fingerprint Power Button with Windows Hello and One Touch sign-in on select models.
- Run your favorite apps and keep up on social media with a 10th Gen Intel Core Processor.
- Show your best side on video calls, meetings, and virtual get-togethers with the built-in 720p HD camera.
9. MSI PS42 8RB-060
- Display: 14" THIN BEZEL Full HD IPS-Level 72% NTSC | Operating System: Win 10 PRO
- Processor: Core i5-8250U 1.6 - 3.4GHz | Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce MX150 2G GDDR5
- Memory: 8GB DDR4 2400MHz 1 Sockets; Max Memory 32GB | Storage: 512GB M.2 SATA
- Special Features: Thin Bezel Display | Ultra Light 2.62 lbs | One-touch access | True Color | Extended Battery Life | Cooler Boost 3 | Nahimic 3 7.1 Audio | USB 3.1 Type-C
- Warranty: 1 year Limited warranty (Include 1 Year Global)
10. ASUS ZenBook 13
- 13.3 inch wide-view full-HD NanoEdge bezel display
- Intel Core i5-8265u processor (6M Cache, upto 3.9 GHz)
- Fast storage and memory featuring 512GB PCIe M.2 SSD and 8GB LPDDR3 RAM
- Extensive connectivity with HDMI, USB type C, Wi-Fi 5 (802.11AC) and Micro SD card reader (USB transfer speed may vary. Learn more at Asus website)
- Sleek and lightweight 2.5 pounds aluminum body for comfortable portability
- Windows 10 home pre-installed
I know most of you just wanna be told what to buy so I’ll try to summarize the last section here (you can still check details at the end!).
For laptop buying purposes let’s divide engineers into 3D and 2D engineers.
If you are a CAD engineer(civil, mechanical, aeronautical) then you are a 3D Engineer and may have to worry about specs (just finding a laptop with a dedicated graphics card really).
2D engineers (electrical , computer, chemical, software,industrial, etc) can settle for pretty much any modern laptop that can run Windows 10 Home.
All engineers should aim for 8GB RAM. This will prevent any lag situation with any software & the number of browsing tabs you have open.
Intel Core i5/AMD Ryzen 5 Chips and above for both 3D/2D Engineers. 2D engineers can settle with core i3 and other AMD procesors if they’re short on cash.
The key of being succesful in every class is TIME management, if you want to save TIME get an SSD (this will max out productivity because everything will load up in less than a second including the time it takes to boot your laptop). Nearly all laptops in 2021 come with an SSD, just double check.
Any consumer or “gaming” GPU with 2GB vRAM(in other words any GPU released within the last 3 years, yes any) for 3D engineers will work!
2D engineers do not need to even look at this spec.
Only professional engineers should consider workstation cards (even then it might only be useful in every special situations).
Size: If you are going to be staring at this thing for days, why not be kind to your eyeballs? Get at least a 13” display, with a matte finish if you can (or set brightness to low levels).
Resolution: 1080p for all engineers. This will give you enough workspace area & will scale up nicely with any software out there. Avoid 4k resolution displays( you will anyways, they cost an eyeball).
Probably the most important feature if you are a student. As light as possible. Keep it around 3lb (unfortunately powerful ultra lightweight laptops are expensive ).
Frequently Asked Questions
WHAT IS THE PERFECT CPU FOR BIOMEDICAL ENGINEERING?
If you belong to biomedical engineering make sure to consider a laptop with at least Intel Core i5 processor and above. Only this kind of processor can run software a biomedical engineer needs.
WHAT IS A BETTER HARD DRIVE OR SSD?
A laptop must feature at least 500 GB or larger hard drive. In the case of an SSD, it should be 256 GB or higher so that you may not have issues regarding storage.
HOW MUCH RAM IS NEEDED?
RAM must be of 8 GBs so that you can run multiple software or open multiple tabs at the same time without getting your laptop hanged.
WHAT IS THE RIGHT OPERATING SYSTEM?
You cannot ignore the importance of the operating system. It is suggested to prefer Windows 10 so that you can enjoy all updates. If you want to go with Apple, consider at least macOS X 10.10 to save you from any trouble.
WHAT IS THE IDEAL DISPLAY SIZE AND RESOLUTION FOR A LAPTOP?
It is necessary for a biomedical engineer to have a laptop with a 1080p resolution. Moreover, the display size must not be smaller than 13 inches; otherwise, it will be difficult for you to track your tasks.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.