As an Amazon Associate We earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
Best Laptop For College Students Under 600 – While making this list, we researched 61 laptops with various configurations, performed various benchmark tests on a few of them, and listed the top 10 best options under the sub-$600 price range.
That said, It isn’t wrong to state that purchasing a device depends entirely on your preferences and expectations. If you haven’t found the right one, try increasing your budget by $100 and check our list, which includes the best laptops under $700. After all, is there any point in purchasing a device that won’t perform the tasks you bought it for?
We also would like to keep this list updated by adding new articles. If we’ve missed any laptop that’s worth being added to the list, feel free to contact us or comment down below with the details.
Best Laptop For College Students Under 600 – ROUND UP
Although this budget is quite popular among grad school and college students, due to the competitive pricing and razor thin margins from reputed brands, you can also find a lot of all-purpose laptops. It doesn’t matter what your computing needs are, If you’re looking for a medium-specs laptop, then this budget has many options to look after.
1. HP 17-BY3613DX
- 17.3" HD+ LED-backlit Non-touchscreen (1600 x 900) Display
- 10th Gen Intel Core i5-1035G1 Quad-Core 1.00GHz Processor (6MB Intel Smart Cache, up to 3.60GHz), Intel UHD Graphics
- 8GB high-bandwidth RAM to smoothly run multiple applications and browser tabs all at once; 256GB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD allows to fast bootup and data transfer
- 2 x USB 3.1 Gen 1, 1 x USB 2.0, 1 x HDMI, 1 x Combination Audio Jack, 1 x RJ-45 Connector, 1 x Multi-format SD Media Card Reader, 1 x DVD-RW
- Built-in HD Webcam with Integrated Digital Microphone, Stereo Speakers, Wireless-AC and Bluetooth, Windows 10 Home 64-bit, 5.4 Pounds
2. ASUS VivoBook 15
- 15.6 inch Full HD (1920x1080) 4-way NanoEdge bezel display with a stunning 88% screen-to-body ratio
- Latest 10th Gen Intel Core i5-1035G1 CPU (6M Cache, up to 3.6 GHz)
- 8GB DDR4 RAM and 512GB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD
- Ergonomic backlit keyboard with fingerprint sensor activated via Windows Hello
- Exclusive Ergolift design for an improved typing position
- Comprehensive connections including USB 3.2 Type-C, USB 3.2 Type-A, USB 2.0, and HDMI; Gigabit Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac) (*USB Transfer speed may vary. Learn more at ASUS website)
- Windows 10 Home
3. Lenovo G50
- Lenovo G50 15.6" HD Widescreen Display 1366 x 768
- Intel Core i5-5200U (Dual Core, 2.2GHz Base / 2.7GHz Turbo, 3MB, 1600MHz)
- Memory 8GB DDR3L-1600，Storage Drive 1TB HDD RPM 5400 RPM
- Wireless LAN 802.11ac Bluetooth 4.0 HDMI DVD
- Battery Life Up to 5 Hours Windows 10
4. Lenovo IdeaPad 5
- 10th Generation Intel Core i5-1035G1 Processor (up to 3.60 GHz)
- 15.6 in Full HD IPS touchscreen (1920 x 1080), 10-finger multi-touch support
- 512GB PCIe SSD
- 16GB DDR4 3200 MHz, Backlit Keyboard
- Wifi AX, Bluetooth, Windows 10, Intel UHD Graphics
5. HP 15-dy1036nr
- Your career essential: With Wi-Fi 6 (2x) and Bluetooth(R) 5 connections, HP True Vision HD webcam and an integrated numeric keypad, this 15-inch laptop has all the essential features you need for a productive work day whether you're in the office or at home
- Design and style with performance to match: Stay connected and productive with long-lasting battery life and a thin and portable, micro-edge bezel design
- BIOS recovery and protection: Automatically checks the health of your PC, protects against unauthorized access, secures local storage and recovers itself from boot up issues
- Display: 15.6-inch diagonal full HD, anti-glare, micro-edge, WLED-backlit display (1920 x 1080); 82% screen to body ratio
- Fast processor: 10th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1035G1, Quad-Core, 1.0 GHz base frequency, up to 3.6 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology
- Fast bootup with solid-state drive & higher bandwidth memory: Boot up in seconds, transfer files without waiting hours, and enjoy a speedier experience with the internal 256 GB PCIe(R) NVMe(TM) M.2 SSD, and higher bandwidth, speed and efficiency with 8 GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM (1 x 8 GB, not upgradable)
- Battery life: Up to 10 hours and 15 minutes (mixed usage), up to 6 hours and 30 minutes (video playback), up to 8 hours and 30 minutes (wireless streaming); 0 to 50% charge in 45 minutes with HP Fast Charge
- Thin, light and portable (unpackaged): 14.11 inches (W) x 9.53 inches (D) x 0.71 inches (H); 3.75 pounds
- Environmentally conscious: Low halogen, mercury-free display backlights, arsenic-free display glass in this Energy Star(R) certified, Epeat(R) Silver registered Laptop
- Operating system and warranty: Windows 10 Home and 1-year limited hardware warranty with 24-hour, 7 days a week web support when shipped from and sold by Amazon.com
6. ASUS VivoBook F5
- Compact Performance: AMD Quad-Core A12-9720p at 2.7GHz, 8GB DDR4 RAM and 1TB HDD
- Complete Connectivity: Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, USB 2.0, USB 3.0, USB 3.1 Type-C, HDMI, Multi-format card reader
- Lighter and thinner: 3.7lbs and 0.8" thick. Nano-Edge 15.6" FHD Display
- Windows 10 in S mode that is streamline for security and performance. One touch conversion to Windows 10 Home.
7. Acer Aspire 5
- 10th Generation Intel Core i5-1035G1 Processor (Up to 3.6GHz)| 8GB DDR4 Memory | 256GB NVMe SSD
- 15.6" Full HD (1920 x 1080) widescreen LED backlit IPS Display | Intel UHD Graphics
- Intel Wireless Wi-Fi 6 AX201 802.11ax | Backlit Keyboard | Fingerprint Reader | HD Webcam | Up to 8 Hours Battery Life
- 1 - USB 3.1 (Type-C) Gen 1 port (up to 5 Gbps), 2 - USB 3.1 Gen 1 Port (one with Power-off Charging), 1 - USB 2.0 Port & 1 - HDMI Port with HDCP Support
- Windows 10 Home
8. Acer Swift 3
- Manufacturer refurbished with 90 Day (through Manufacturer or Manufacturer certified service provider).
- AMD Ryzen 5 4500U Six Core Mobile Processor (2.3GHz Clock Speed up to 4.0GHz, 8MB Cache) with Radeon Graphics | 8GB LPDDR4 Memory | 512GB PCIe NVMe SSD
- 14" Full HD Widescreen IPS LED-backlit Display (1920 x 1080 resolution; 16: 9 aspect ratio)
- Intel Wireless Wi-Fi 6 AX200 802.11ax | HD Webcam (1280 x 720) | Backlit Keyboard | Fingerprint Reader
- 1 - USB Type-C port USB 3. 2 Gen 2 (up to 10 Gbps) DisplayPort over USB Type-C & USB Charging, 1- USB 3. 2 Gen 1 port (featuring power-off charging), 1 - USB 2. 0 port & 1 - HDMI port; Just 0. 63" thin and 2. 65 lbs and up to 11. 5 hours of battery life!
9. Lenovo Flex 14
- The 14" Hd (1366 x 768), 220 nits, 10-point touchscreen display is ideal for productivity or Creativity, while the Intel Pentium gold 5405U Processor is fast and responsive.
- With up to 8 hours of battery life, The Flex 14 enables you to work, play, and stay in the loop all day, from anywhere. Recharge Technology lets you recharge your multimode PC up to 80% in just 1 hour.
- Stay connected with WLAN Wi-Fi and Bluetooth built in. The Flex 14 notebook also includes 2 USB ports, 1 USB-C port, a card reader, HDMI port, and audio jack.
- Write, draw, or sketch directly onto the Flex 14's touch screen. With a digital pen (available separately), you can capture moments of inspiration or take notes on the fly.
- The convenient true block privacy shutter lets you physically close your PC's webcam whenever you're not using it.
10. Lenovo IdeaPad 3
- AMD Ryzen 5 3500U Mobile Processors with Radeon Graphics deliver powerful performance for everyday tasks
- Dopoundsy Audio delivers crystal-clear sound, while the 14-inch FHD screen and narrow side bezels give you more viewing area and less clutter
- Quick and quiet with Q-control – Effortlessly swap between fast & powerful performance and quiet battery saving mode
- Connect with ease using Bluetooth 4.1, up to 2x2 Wi-Fi 5, three USB ports, and HDMI
- Keep your privacy intact with a physical shutter for your webcam. You'll enjoy privacy right at your fingertips
- System RAM Type: DDR4 SDRAM
Frequently Asked Questions
What features to look for in a laptop under 600 dollars?
If you have already made up your mind about spending on 600 dollars, you must specifically look for decent processing power. If productivity and professional tasks are on your mind, you must at least look for an i5 processor and 8 GB RAM. In certain cases, we would recommend opting for a device with a bigger battery.
Can these laptops be used for gaming?
Most laptops listed above do not have a dedicated graphics card for gaming. However, the Acer Aspire 5 and even Asus VivoBook supports casual and lightweight gaming. To understand this better, if the device has Integrated Intel UHD 620 GPU or a better version, little bit gaming is possible. However, you must refrain from graphic-intensive games.
Which features must be prioritized by students?
For academic usage, the requirements strictly boil down to decent RAM support and exceptional battery backup. Students usually need to handle massive data sets and RAM allows them to use the same sans occasional lags. Moreover, in case of power cuts, a decent battery backup allows students to finish assignments with ease.
Which storage unit to go with in case of $600 Laptops?
If you already have a powerful processor and decent RAM support at the helm, you can opt for the static Hard Disk drive with storage somewhere in the ballpark of 1TB. However, SSD units make sure that the device boots-up quicker than you can even imagine. We would personally recommend a dual storage module, as found in Dell 15 3000.
Can these budget laptops live up to professional preferences?
If you are looking to indulge in basic professional tasks, including spreadsheet preparations, typing, and video calling, any laptop from the list is more than adequate. In most cases, these gadgets pack 8 gigs of RAM which support even the most advanced professional tasks.
Should I opt for a standard clamshell model or a hybrid?
If you are only interested in mobility and productive support on the go, hybrids, and convertibles can be considered. That said, if you are basically a desk adjacent individual, we would recommend a standard clamshell as you can get hold of additional features by compromising on mobility.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.