Best Laptop for Sketchup – SketchUp is one of the most powerful, efficient, and concept-based application programs for 3D modeling and rendering. However, unlike some of the other professionally-intensive apps like Maya and Blender, SketchUp is more humane and works as an extension of your creativity.
If you are seeking an all-round performer that can run SketchUp (even SketchUp Pro,) AutoCAD, and even the BIM apps like Revit while allowing you to indulge in frequent gaming, the Asus ROG Strix G15 is a pretty handy performer.
If you are mostly into 3D modeling and advanced rendering, thereby making use of Mental, Ray, or Octane Render, the MSI P65 Creator is the perfect gadget to invest in.
If you are still interested in using SketchUp, mostly for modeling the imported 2D designs while rendering them sparingly, the Razer Blade 15 is also a decent bet.
If you seek portability with minimal compromises in terms of processing firepower, nothing matches the credibility of the Surface Book 3.back to menu ↑
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 with ROG Boost
- Intel Core i7-10750H
- 15.6" 240Hz 3ms Full HD IPS Display
- 16GB DDR4 3200MHZ RAM | 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD | Windows 10 Home
- Gig+ Wi-Fi 6
back to menu ↑
- AMD Ryzen 3 3200U Dual Core Processor (Up to 3.5GHz); 4GB DDR4 Memory; 128GB PCIe NVMe SSD
- 15.6 inches full HD (1920 x 1080) widescreen LED backlit IPS display; AMD Radeon Vega 3 Mobile Graphics
- 1 USB 3.1 Gen 1 port, 2 USB 2.0 ports & 1 HDMI port with HDCP support
- 802.11ac Wi-Fi; Backlit Keyboard; Up to 7.5 hours battery life
- Windows 10 in S mode. Maximum power supply wattage: 65 Watts
back to menu ↑
- 7th Generation Intel Core i5-7300HQ Quad Core Processor (6M cache, up to 3.5 GHz)
- 8GB DDR4-2400MHz up to 32GB (additional memory sold separately)
- 256GB PCIe Solid State Drive, No Optical Drive
- 15.6-inch 4K Ultra HD (3840 x 2160) InfinityEdge touch display
- Windows 10 Home 64bit English
- NOTE: Refer the User Manual from the Technical Specification before use which is highly recommended.
back to menu ↑
4.Omen by HP
- Desktop-grade power in a portable laptop with realistic graphics: nvidia(r) geforce(r) RTX 2070 (8 GB GDDR6 dedicated). cutting-edge nvidia(r) Turing architecture immerses you in incredible realism and performance, Plus nvidia(r) g-sync(tm) technology helps ensure sharp, stutter-free gaming. Vr/mr ready. 17.3-Inch diagonal FHD IPS WLED-backlit edge-to-edge display (1920 x 1080) with 144Hz refresh rate
- Cutting-edge gaming performance: play The latest games, including Fortnight, PUBG, and Overwatch, from anywhere—without sacrificing performance
- Omen command center: easily turn up your performance with included software that enables control over your CPU overclocking settings and prioritizes your gaming traffic to minimize latency
- Super Fast Processor: 9th Generation intel(r) core(tm) i7-9750h Processor, 6-Core, 2.6 GHz Base frequency, up to 4.5 GHz Base with Intel's) Turbo Boost Technology for superior gaming performance
- Easy to upgrade Memory and storage: 16 GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM (upgradable with 2 accessible Memory Slots) and Fast boot-up, file transfer and a snappier experience with the internal with 512 GB pcie(r) nvme(tm) M.2 Solid State Drive
- Bios recovery and protection: automatically checks the health of your PC, protects against unauthorized access, secures local storage and recovers itself from boot-up issues
- Ports: headphone/Microphone combo, Microphone jack, 3 USB 3.1 Type-A, 1 RJ-45, 1 HDMI 2.0, 1 Mini displayport(tm), 1 USB 3.1 Type-C(tm), 1 media card Reader
- Battery life: up to 5 hours and 30 minutes (mixed usage); up to 3 hours and 15 minutes (video playback); up to 2 hours and 45 minutes (wireless streaming)
- Dimensions AND weight (unpackaged): 15.94 inches (W) x 11.22 inches (D) x 1.06 inch (H); 7.09 pounds
- Operating System and Warranty: Windows 10 Home and 1-Year Limited hardware warranty with 24-hour, 7 days a week Web support when shipped from and sold by Amazon.Com and not a third party seller
back to menu ↑
- Welcome to the next generation of gaming performance with the AMD Ryzen 7 4800H mobile processor, 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 memory, and 512GB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD storage
- Enjoy fast refresh and deep colors with a 144 Hz refresh rate and outstanding clarity on a 15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS display
- The NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660Ti GPU is a blazing-fast supercharger for your favorite games and the newest titles
- Get maximum performance via Dual Burn Support, which pushes the CPU and GPU together for improved framerates, and Legion Coldfront 2.0 for thermal tuning
- The Legion TrueStrike keyboard with soft-landing switches delivers hair-trigger inputs
back to menu ↑
- GeForce RTX 3060: NVIDIA's 2nd gen RTX—with new RT Cores, Tensor Cores, and streaming multiprocessors to give the most realistic ray-traced graphics and improved performance.
- More Power: The 10th Gen Intel Core i7-10750H processor provides the ultimate level of performance with up to 5.0GHz Max Turbo and 6 cores.
- FHD 144Hz: Incredible performance paired with the fast 144Hz 15.6" Full HD thin bezel display helps edge out the win.
- Thin and Compact: The CNC aluminum unibody frame houses incredible performance in the most compact footprint possible, while remaining remarkably durable and just 0.78" thin.
- Ready To Connect: Fully loaded with Wi-Fi 6, Gigabit Ethernet, Thunderbolt 3, USB Type-A and Type-C ports, and HDMI, for a desktop-class experience.Make It Yours: Customize the backlight color of the keyboard with Razer Chroma, and expand the memory and storage, making the Razer Blade 15 uniquely yours.
back to menu ↑
- Perfectly sized 15.6" display with ultra-thin bezels and an incredible 89% screen-to-body ratio for productivity and creative tasks | This ultra-high performance powerhouse is less than 1" thick, weighs less than 5-lbs, and housed in a compact, durable CNC aluminum alloy black chassis, perfect for creative professionals and gamers on-the-go
- Eye-catching Samsung 4K UHD AMOLED display with VESA DisplayHDR 400 True Black Standard for more realistic imagery, higher contrast, and true-blacks | 100% DCI-P3 wide color gamut and super fast 1-ms display response time | Individually factory-calibrated and color accuracy within Delta E
- Up to 8-hours of battery life (PCMark 10) to get you through an entire day's work without plugging in for greater work mobility and productivity | Exclusive, built-in Microsoft Azure AI to intelligently optimize hardware profiles to match your daily usage for the most efficient power and battery usage
- Equipped with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti (6GB GDDR6) for accelerating and optimizing graphic-intensive creative apps, such as Adobe Creative Suite, Autodesk Maya, Blender, etc. | Powered by the latest 9th Gen Intel Core i7-9750H for faster photo and 4K video editing efficiency and high gaming performance
- 16GB DDR4 3200MHz dual channel memory (8GBx2) for increased multitasking productivity and 512GB NVMe PCIe SSD (2x NVMe storage slots total) for accessing files at lightning speeds, while safely storing all of your large-scale creations and projects
- Expand your creative studio with outputs of up to 3 external displays (via HDMI, Mini-DP, and 1x Thunderbolt 3 USB-C ports) and a 300MB/s UHS-II SD Card Reader | Connect up to 9 external accessories without the need for an adapter | Killer Ethernet E2600 + Killer Wi-Fi 6 AX 1650 with up to 2.4Gbps transfer speed to upload and transfer multiple, large-scale files without limitations
- Gigabyte exclusive Supra Cool 2 cooling system for 30% more cooling efficiency for smoother performance and seamless multi-tasking work flow under heavy gaming or multimedia loadings
- Highly receptive full area backlit GIGABYTE RGB Fusion 2.0 keyboard with numpad and full macro per-key customization with multiple design software compatibilities for the best multimedia experience | Built-in fingerprint reader for rapid, secure logins and high privacy protection with Windows Hello
- Listen to your favorite work playlist with built-in high-power stereo speakers for increased volume and enhanced sound experience (93dBA louder than typical laptop speakers) | NAHIMIC 3 3D surround sound for full game and movie immersion with rich, vibrant details when paired with the world's best headphones
- Windows 10 Home | Gigabyte 1-Year Global Warranty
back to menu ↑
- 15.6" Full HD IPS Anti-glare Micro-edge WLED-backlit Touchscreen (1920 x 1080) Display
- AMD Ryzen 5 4500U 2.30GHz Hexa-Core Processor up to 4.0GHz, AMD Radeon Graphics with Shared Graphics Memory
- 8GB high-bandwidth RAM to smoothly run multiple applications and browser tabs all at once; 256GB PCIe NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive allows to fast bootup and data transfer
- 2 x USB 3.1 Gen 1, 1 x USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-C, 1 x HDMI, 1 x Combination Audio Jack, 1 x Multi-format SD Media Card Reader
- HP Wide Vision HD Camera with Integrated Dual Array Digital Microphone, HP Audio Boost 2.0 with Bang & Olufsen Dual Speakers, Backlit Keyboard, Fingerprint Reader, Wireless-AX and Bluetooth Combo, Windows 10 Home, 4.41 Pounds
back to menu ↑
- High-end materials like magnesium alloy, copper and steel provide a premium, lightweight and performance-driven gaming experience with iconic AlienFX lighting
- 144Hz 300nits 7ms Full HD for smooth, high-speed motion graphics
- Alienware Cryo-Tech optimizes component cooling, which maximizes overall performance and keeps your laptop cool to the touch
- FHD display with 7ms response time, 800:1 contrast ratio, 144Hz refresh rate and 300-nit brightness for pulse-racing gameplay
- At just 4.65lb and under 20.5mm, the new Alienware m15 is the thinnest laptop in Alienware history—even lighter and leaner than our previous m15
back to menu ↑
- 10th Generation Intel Core i5-10300H Processor (Up to 4.5GHz)
- 15" Full HD Widescreen IPS LED-backlit 144Hz Refresh Display | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Ti Graphics with 4 GB of dedicated GDDR6 VRAM
- 8GB DDR4 2933MHz Memory | 256GB NVMe SSD (2 x PCIe M.2 Slots - 1 Slot Open for Easy Upgrades) & 1 - Available Hard Drive Bay
- LAN: Killer Ethernet E2600 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN | Wireless: Intel Wireless Wi-Fi 6 AX201 802.11ax
- Backlit Keyboard | Acer CoolBoost Technology with Twin Fans and Quad Exhaust Ports Design
back to menu ↑
Best Laptop for Sketchup – BUYER’S GUIDEback to menu ↑
While it is a good practice to have a huge screen for creative work, the resolution is the most important. For SketchUp, you should aim for either Full HD or 4K resolution. This will enable you to clearly see whatever you are doing on the screen without straining your eyes.
If screen size is important to you, you will also want to keep portability in mind. If you travel a lot with the laptop, you should look for one that offers a good balance between size and portability. Big screens are good if you want plenty of space to work with and arrange your toolbars in an organized manner.
Otherwise, you should always prioritize resolution over screen size.back to menu ↑
Dedicated Graphics Card
You can compromise on graphics when it comes to laptops for any other use other than creative tasks. For SketchUp, you should definitely get dedicated graphics as opposed to integrated ones. This is why lower-end laptops will not cut it for SketchUp since they mostly have built-in graphic cards.
Since they share system memory, integrated memory graphics will not only throttle the laptop’s performance but also result to lower work quality. They are also slower since they access the RAM via the same data bus as the system.
Most NVIDIA GeForce discrete graphics are a good fit for SketchUp. Just make sure not to go lower than the GTX 1050.back to menu ↑
You may get away with 4GB of RAM when using SketchUp. However, for serious 3D modeling, you will need at least 8GB. Most of our recommendations have 16GB with the highest being 32GBB.
32GB of RAM is probably an overkill if you don’t plan on doing any serious creative.
Don’t blow your budget just so you can create a few basic designs. 16GB is the sweet spot.
Whether you are on a budget or not, you can easily afford this much RAM.
The best option is to futureproof your laptop by ensuring that it comes with upgradeable memory. This way, you can always add more RAM when the need arises.back to menu ↑
You will most likely hear that you don’t need a cutting-edge processor to run SketchUp. That is partly true. However, to be on the safe side, you should aim for a better processor while taking care not to strangle your budget in the process.
The good news is most laptops for the creative market automatically pack powerful processors. Anything from an Intel Core 5 or AMD Ryzen 5 will be fine. However, we have found Intel Core i7s to be the best for use with SketchUp.back to menu ↑
Frequently Asked Questions
Why do you need a high-end GPU for better SketchUp performances and outputs?
A high-end GPU, preferably the consumer-grade RTX 20-series models are great choices for running SketchUp, courtesy of the decent spread of CUDA, and Ray Tracing cores. Besides that, all the necessary APIs like Vulkan, DirectX, and OpenGL are available, making it easier to achieve desirable levels of performance and good quality renders. Mostly, high-end GPUs are preferred if you are looking to indulge in 3D rendering via third-party plugins.
Which processor to rely on if you are only looking to use SketchUp for modeling?
If your sole purpose is to create 3D designs, you require a powerful processor that comes with a faster Turbo Clocking speed. This signifies faster single-core performances which are the most desirable traits for 3D modeling.
Why should SketchUp be the first choice for architects?
SketchUp, unlike some of other high-end 3D modeling and rendering programs, is way more interactive and the perfect choice for conceptual designs. Therefore, architects and interior designers can envision layouts and put them to practice using the SketchUp program, which is also a great choice for creating 3D home layouts and concept-driven walkthroughs.
What is the best rendering plugin for SketchUp?
If you are looking to render select SketchUp models while importing the same onto third-party plugins, Octane Render and V-Ray Next are the best options to consider. However, this is where you would require a high-end GPU with additional CUDA cores for increasing efficiency. The best-case scenario is for the dedicated GPU to work in tandem with the integrated graphics card.
Why do professional SketchUp artists require higher RAM?
Professionals require at least 16GB or even 32GB RAM for a seamless workstation-like experience. 3D models and renders take up a lot of system memory which can run out easily if you are a seasoned SketchUp professional. However, in most cases, the high-end laptops come with upgradeable RAM slots, allowing you to beef up the system memory, if and when required.
Why is Thunderbolt 3 support necessary for advanced 3D modeling and rendering?
In the case of advanced 3D modeling and rendering, you might end up requiring additional displays for working on 2D and 3D renditions, simultaneously. Besides that, in case the system GPU isn’t enough for high-end modeling, rendering, simulations; the Thunderbolt 3 ports allow you to pair additional GPU rigs for enhancing professional productivity.
Computer-Aided Designing has evolved over the years and there are many high-end and demanding application programs such as AutoCAD, Revit, etc that can help you achieve perfection in the concerned domain. However, individuals use tools and software, based on highly specific preferences.