Best Laptop for Typing – We believe most of our picks offer the options to cater to the needs of all writers. Whether you’re a professional author or a new freelancer, you can find a suitable laptop that won’t disappoint.
Take a look at the several features, and you’ll definitely find a laptop that suits your budgetbest lapto. You can enjoy these laptops in or away from the office to pursue your passion as a talented writer.
The above laptops are our favorite recommendations for writers. Laptops make great gifts for writers and great gifts for teachers, so be sure to add a new laptop to your holiday shopping list.
They will hopefully increase your productivity and comfort while you are writing. A comfortable keyboard combined with an extra-long battery life will do wonders for a writer’s content creation. However, don’t forget to get laptop accessories to make the laptop even more effective
Your writing experience will get so much better with the best laptop for writers. When you start it up, you don’t have to wait for lag or distractions; you can get straight to writing. Each keystroke has a clear tactile click that lets you notice you’re making progress on your work. With the long battery life, you can write the whole day without worrying about it dying on you.back to menu ↑
- 10th generation Intel Core i5-1035G1 processor. Dual-core, four-way intelligent processing performance. Intel Turbo Boost Technology delivers dynamic extra power when you need it, while increasing energy efficiency when you don't.
- 15.6-inch touchscreen for convenient control. Tap, tap, swipe and get the most out of Windows 10. HD TruBrite technology that expands color and clarity. 1366 x 768 typical HD resolution. Supports 720p content. Energy efficient LED backlighting.
- 12GB memory system for full power multitasking.
- 256GB Solid State Drive (PCI-e). Save files quickly and store more data. With large amounts of storage and advanced communication power, PCI-e SSDs are ideal for major gaming applications, multiple servers, daily backups, and more.
- Wired wireless connectivity (WiFi 5 - 802.11 ac), integrated HD webcam with microphone. Windows 10 Home. Weighs 4.07 lbs. and measures 0.78" thin
back to menu ↑
- This Certified Refurbished product is tested and certified to look and work like new. The refurbishing process includes functionality testing, basic cleaning, inspection, and repackaging. The product ships with all relevant accessories, a minimum 90-day warranty, and may arrive in a generic box. Only select sellers who maintain a high performance bar may offer Certified Refurbished products on Amazon.com
- Meet Google Pixelbook, the high performance Chromebook. It’s the first laptop with the Google Assistant built in. Press the Google Assistant key on your keyboard or say "Ok Google" to get started. The Google Assistant is always ready to help.
- Features 7th Gen Intel Core i7 processor, 16GB RAM and 512GB for storage. The long lasting battery delivers up to 10 hours of use and it’s fast charging so you can get 2 hours of use in 15 minutes.
- 4-in-1 design adapts to whatever you’re doing with laptop, tablet, tent and entertainment modes. Access to favorite apps including Google Drive, Docs, Sheets, Slides, Gmail, YouTube and more.
- Pixelbook's super thin and lightweight design measures 10.3 mm and weighs 2.45lbs. Features a 12.3” 360° touchscreen display, a sleek aluminum body, Corning Gorilla Glass and a backlit keyboard.
back to menu ↑
- Chromebook runs on Chrome OS - An operating system by Google that is built for the way we live today. It comes with built-in virus protection, updates automatically, boots up in seconds and continues to stay fast over time. (Internet connection is required).
- All the Google apps you know and love come standard on every Chromebook, which means you can edit, download, and convert Microsoft Office files in Google Docs, Sheets and Slides.
- Get access to more than 2 million Android apps from Google Play to learn and do more.
- Chromebooks come with built-in storage for offline access to your most important files and an additional 100GB of Google Drive space to ensure that all of your files are backed up automatically.
- Acer CP311-2H-C679 convertible Chromebook comes with 11.6” HD Touch IPS Display, Intel Celeron N4020, 4GB LPDDR4 Memory, 32GB eMMC, Google Chrome and up to 10-hours battery life.
back to menu ↑
- 13.4" FHD+ (1920 x 1200) InfinityEdge Touch Anti-Reflective 500-Nit Display
- 11th Generation, Intel Core i7-1185G7 Processor (12MB Cache, up to 4.8 GHz)
- 16GB 4267MHz LPDDR4x Memory Onboard, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD
- Intel Iris Xe Graphics with shared graphics memory
- Killer Wi-Fi 6 AX1650 (2 x 2) and Bluetooth 5.1
back to menu ↑
- 8th Generation Intel Core i3 8130U Processor 2.2 GHz (Up to 3.2GHz)
- 15.6 inches Full HD (1920 x 1080) widescreen LED lit Display
- 6GB Dual Channel Memory, 1TB HDD and 8x DVD
- Up to 13.5 Hours of battery life
- Windows 10 Home. Operating System Architecture 64-bit
- TIP: try a battery pin-hole reset procedure, a different AC adapter, or pressing the key combination FN + F6 to make sure the system is outputting the video to the notebook's internal display
back to menu ↑
- HARDCORE PERFORMANCE: Latest Hexacore 10th gen Intel i7- 10750H (2.6 GHz base frequency(2b), up to 5 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost, 12 MB L3 cache, 6 cores) + NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Ti with Q-Max Design 4GB + 16 GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD, Windows 10 PRO. Includes a Super Sleek & cool 64GB ULTRA SLIM Tech Warehouse LLC USB Flash drive. A speedy little performer with a great look! Please see picture illustrations. This laptop is Brand New with HPS tamper proof factory seal in tact.
- IMMERSIVE DISPLAY AND SOUND: You’ll love the 15.6" diagonal 4K 340 nits (3840 x 2160) IPS IPS micro-edge BrightView WLED-backlit touch screen that brings your videos and photos to life. It also includes Bang & Olufsen Quad Speakers, HP Audio Boost, and custom tuning by the experts at Bang & Olufsen, entertainment comes to life with sound you can feel, Nightfall Black
- BLAZING SPEED WITH SSD AND HIGH PERFORMANCE MEMORY: 512 GB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD (17x faster than a traditional 5400-rpm laptop hard drive),16 GB DDR4-2933 SDRAM of system memory for intense multitasking and gaming, smoothly run your graphics-heavy PC games and video-editing, 1 x Multi-Format SD Media Card Reader, Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX 201 (2x2) and Bluetooth 5 Combo (Supporting Gigabit file transfer speeds), Camera Kill Switch, Mic-Mute Key, HP Pen
- HP TRUEVISION, ThunderBolt 3 and USB-C Support: HP TrueVision HD IR Camera with Dual array digital microphone - WINDOWS HELLO COMPATIBLE WITH IR CAMERA, USB-C ports, Thunderbolt 3 support - This single interface supports both high-speed data and high-definition video. 1 Thunderbolt 3 (40Gbps signaling rate) with SuperSpeed USB Type-C 10Gbps signaling rate (USB Power Delivery, DisplayPort 1.2, HP Sleep and Charge)
- ALL-DAY BATTERY: Stay unplugged for up to 13 hours courtesy of the 6-cell 72.9 Wh Li-ion battery. Built to last you through the day, it gives you the freedom to confidently travel with your convertible HP touchscreen laptop and work on the go without constantly worrying about charge. Click ‘Add to Cart’ and enjoy our 100% satisfaction guarantee!
back to menu ↑
- 10th Generation Intel Core i7 (10th Gen) 1065G7 / 1.3 GHz
- 16GB of RAM, 512GB SSD Storage, 10.5 Hour Battery Life
- 12.3 Inch (2736 x 1824 Resolution) 10-point multi-touch Display
- SDXC Media Card Slot, USB Type-C, USB 3.0 Type-A, 802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax Wi-F,| Bluetooth 5.0,Windows 10 Pro (64-Bit)
- Included in Surface Pro 7 i7 16gb/512gb/win pro Bundle: Microsoft Surface Pen –Platinum, Microsoft Type Cover – Black & GizPro USB Type-C to HDMI / VGA / DVI Adapter
back to menu ↑
- Apple-designed M1 chip for a giant leap in CPU, GPU, and machine learning performance
- Get more done with up to 20 hours of battery life, the longest ever in a Mac
- 8-core CPU delivers up to 2.8x faster performance to fly through workflows quicker than ever
- 8-core GPU with up to 5x faster graphics for graphics-intensive apps and games
- 16-core Neural Engine for advanced machine learning
back to menu ↑
- Innovative screen pad: 5.65-Inch interactive touchscreen trackpad that adapts to your needs for smarter control and multitasking
- App switcher on screen pad: easily move docked Windows between your main display and screen pad Display
- 13.3 inch wide-view full HD 4-way NanoEdge bezel Display
- Latest 10th generation Intel Core i7-10510u Core Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.9 GHz) with discrete graphics NVIDIA GeForce MX250
- Fast storage and memory featuring 512GB PCIe NVMe SSD with 16GB RAM
- Built-in IR camera for facial recognition sign in with Windows Hello
- Extensive connectivity with HDMI, USB Type C, Wi-Fi 6 (802.11Ax), Bluetooth 5.0 and Micro SD card reader (USB transfer speed may vary. Learn more on Asus website)
- Sleek and lightweight 2.8 lbs for comfortable portability
- Mil-std 810G military standard for reliability and durability
- Carry Sleeve and USB3.0 to RJ45 cable are included
back to menu ↑
- Processor: Intel Core i7-10510U Quad Core Processor (8MB Cache, 1.8GHz-4.9GHz) 15W
- RAM: 16GB DDR4 2666MHz | Hard Drive: 1TB NVMe Solid State Drive
- Keyboard: Full-Size Island-Style Backlit Natural Silver Keyboard | Operating System: Windows 10 Home x64
- Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce MX350 2GB GDDR5 | Display: 13.3" 4K UHD, IPS, BrightView, Micro-Edge, WLED-Backlit, Multitouch-Enabled Display (3840 x 2160)
- 1TB NVMe SSD Upgrade | 3-Year CUK Limited Warranty (View warranty section below for more details.)
back to menu ↑
Best Laptop for Typing – BUYER’S GUIDEback to menu ↑
How a laptop keyboard feels depends on two main factors: its key travel and feedback.
Key travel is how many millimeters you need to press the key until it registers the click. The ideal key travel length is a matter of personal taste. Some writers prefer shallow key travel, such as on a Macbook, while other writers prefer a longer amount of key travel, such as on the Dell X1.
Feedback is the response each key makes when you press it. You want good feedback that feels springy and pops back up quickly without bottoming out. Bottoming out is when you hit the base of the keyboard with lots of force and will slow you down and tire you out.
If you’re writing in dim lights having a backlit keyboard is essential. Be aware that some budget laptops lack a backlit keyboard.
Another thing that will improve your typing experience is a comfortable palm rest.back to menu ↑
The list of the best laptops for writers covers both ultralight 10-inch notebooks and bulky 15-inch work laptops.
If you know you like writing outside of your home office desk, weight becomes crucial. Whenever you move the laptop, no matter if it’s to the nearest cafe or when traveling, every pound starts to weigh you down.
10″ is ideal for getting the most portable laptop. A size of 15 inches is the standard for a writer’s notebook. 13.3″ is a good compromise between the size of the 15-inch laptop and the portability of the 13-inch laptop.back to menu ↑
Another thing that will affect writers on the move is the battery of the laptop. Don’t get fooled by the laptop having a large number of watt-hours (Wh). How long a computer will last will depend not only on how large the battery is but also on how fast it consumes the battery.
Unless you’re on a tight budget, you should be able to find a laptop that will last a whole day on a single charge.back to menu ↑
Just a year ago, the standard in the best laptops for writers was a 1 TB HDD. These days expect SSD storage in laptops for writers. An SSD will give faster load and boot times and requires less energy, so you’ll also get the added benefit of longer battery life.back to menu ↑
You’ll usually find an Intel Core CPU in the best laptops for writers. On budget laptops, you’ll often find an Intel Core i3 processor. An Intel Core i5 processor is a good compromise between performance and price. On higher-end laptops expect an Intel Core i7 processor.
If you’re a writer, an Intel Core i5 processor is usually more than enough. A good Intel Core i5 processor will handle writing documents with ease and can handle more CPU demanding things such as photo editing.
In some entry-level laptops, you might find an Intel Celeron CPU. If you compare the Intel Celeron against an Intel Core i3 CPU, you’ll see the Intel Core i3 processor have considerably better performance. If you, for example, compare the Intel Celeron n3160 against the i3-8145U in the Dell Ideapad s340, you’ll see that the i3 have a 93% higher effective speed.back to menu ↑
To avoid unnecessary lag and get an overall faster experience, aim to get a laptop with at least 8GB RAM. 16GB is ideal, but it’s not needed if you’re just going to use the laptop for everyday tasks and writing. 4GB can be alright, but it will lag if you have too many things open at the same time.back to menu ↑
The first thing to look for when it comes to the display is the screen resolution. A larger screen resolution will often improve productivity since you can fit more on the screen, thanks to the added pixels. A resolution of 1920 x 1080 (Full HD) is the standard in the best laptops for writers.
The recommended brightness depends on the light conditions you work in. If you plan to use your laptop outside or in sunlight, make sure it has the right amount of brightness. Aim for a 400+ nits brightness if you want to use it outside.
Color coverage and contrast are not needed when you’re writing, but it can be important when you’re done writing and, for example, watch movies.
Many of the notebooks on the list are touch screen laptops. A touch screen can make the writing experience more convenient, but it’s not a must-have when working on your next novel, book, or article.back to menu ↑
Frequently Asked Questions
Which laptop has the best keyboard for typing?
We recommend the Dell Inspiron or the MacBook Air, due to the attractive key travel distance and keyboard backlights.
Which laptop is best for freelancing?
The Asus Chromebook Flip is a lightweight yet robust option that won’t disappoint you if you like to move around.
What is the easiest laptop to use?
The Lenovo Flex is practical and comes equipped with Windows 10 so it can be used right out of the box. You should also consider the Asus Chromebook Flip, though it’s more expensive.
Is Chromebook good for writers?
Chromebooks run Chrome’s proprietary OS, which means they don’t need virus protection and don’t slow down with bloated software like Windows machines. They’re fully cloud-based, which means you don’t need to worry about losing work and they boot almost instantly. However, they require an internet connection to function fully, which can make them a pain when writing on the go.
Which MacBook is best for writers?
The MacBook Air offers a solid feature set at a reasonable price point, in our opinion. The MacBook Pro is more high-powered (and heavier), but for writers it’s probably overkill.
What does 2-in-1 laptop mean?
These are tablet/laptop hybrids, usually with a detachable or rotatable keyboard. This means you can use the screen as a touchscreen independently of the laptop itself.
If you’re spending hours typing, for example, having a functional keyboard just isn’t enough. You’ll need one that’s extremely reliable and accurate, comfortable to use, and has a satisfying bounce and tactile feedback. In fact, you’ll need one of the best keyboards on a laptop, if you hope to type on it for eight hours straight without fatiguing. You’ll also need one with an excellent display, one that lets you see things when you’re outdoors and isn’t eye-straining even when you’re indoors. And ideally, the best laptops for writers are sleek and compact, because you never know when or where inspiration will strike.
With these considerations in mind, we found all the best laptops for writers currently on offer. So you’ll spend less time scouring the computing market yourself, and more time writing.