Best Laptop for Writing a Book – We believe most of our picks offer the options to cater to the needs of all writers. Whether you’re a professional author or a new freelancer, you can find a suitable laptop that won’t disappoint.
Take a look at the several features, and you’ll definitely find a laptop that suits your budgetbest lapto. You can enjoy these laptops in or away from the office to pursue your passion as a talented writer.
They will hopefully increase your productivity and comfort while you are writing. A comfortable keyboard combined with an extra-long battery life will do wonders for a writer’s content creation. However, don’t forget to get laptop accessories to make the laptop even more effective.
There are hundreds of models on the market, but some features are more important to a writer. Here are a few things to take into consideration before buying the best option.back to menu ↑
- AMD Ryzen 5 3500U Mobile Processors with Radeon Graphics deliver powerful performance for everyday tasks
- Dopoundsy Audio delivers crystal-clear sound, while the 14-inch FHD screen and narrow side bezels give you more viewing area and less clutter
- Quick and quiet with Q-control – Effortlessly swap between fast & powerful performance and quiet battery saving mode
- Connect with ease using Bluetooth 4.1, up to 2x2 Wi-Fi 5, three USB ports, and HDMI
- Keep your privacy intact with a physical shutter for your webcam. You'll enjoy privacy right at your fingertips
- System RAM Type: DDR4 SDRAM
back to menu ↑
- Pixelbook Go lets you stay unplugged for up to 12 hours, so you don’t need to carry a charger; when you do need a charge, get up to 2 hours of battery use in just 20 minutes so you can keep going 
- Lightweight Chromebook laptop that’s barely 2 pounds and 13 mm thin with a grippable design, making it easier to carry
- Protects your data, passwords, and information with the Titan C security chip and built-in antivirus software; Chrome OS updates automatically to give you the latest features and security 
- Starts up in seconds so it’s always ready when you are; the 8th Gen Intel Core Processor is quick and responsive, powering everything you do
- Pixelbook Go is a quiet and comfortable laptop with a backlit keyboard, ultra quiet keys, and and a spacious touchpad that only needs a light touch
- Get amazing picture and sound with the brilliant HD touchscreen display and dual stereo speakers so you can watch movies, edit photos, or video chat with the 1080p webcam
- With Instant Tethering, get online easily on Pixelbook Go using the LTE connection on your Google Pixel
- Please refer to the product description section below for all applicable legal disclaimers denoted by the bracketed numbers in the preceding bullet points (e.g., , , etc.)
back to menu ↑
- This Certified Refurbished product is Certified Factory refurbished, shows limited or no wear, and includes all original accessories plus a 90-day warranty.
- Multitasking is easy with 4 GB of RAM.
- Equipped with a powerful Intel Celeron N4000 1.10 GHz processor.
- Never worry about running out of space with 32 GB storage.
back to menu ↑
- 12.9-inch edge-to-edge Liquid Retina display with ProMotion, True Tone, and P3 wide color
- A12Z Bionic chip with Neural Engine
- 12MP Wide camera, 10MP Ultra Wide camera, and LiDAR Scanner
- 7MP TrueDepth front camera
- Face ID for secure authentication and Apple Pay
- Four speaker audio and five studio-quality microphones
- 802.11ax Wi-Fi 6
- Up to 10 hours of battery life
- USB-C connector for charging and accessories
- Support for Magic Keyboard, Smart Keyboard Folio, and Apple Pencil
back to menu ↑
- Newly Launched HP Spectre x360 13T Cutting Edge GEM CUT Design - 10TH GENERATION QUAD CORE CPU: Intel Core i7-1065G7 (1.3 GHz, up to 3.9 GHz, 8 MB cache, 4 cores) four-way processing 1.30 GHz to 3.9 GHz with 8 MB SmartCache, high-efficiency performance with Intel Turbo Boost Technology WINDOWS 10 HOME 64 BIT PRE INSTALLED BY HP, NEW Features - Web Cam Kill Switch, Mic Mute Key, Fingerprint reader
- UNMATCHED AUDIO PERFORMANCE with QUAD Bang & Olufsen speakers: The partnership between Bang & Olufsen and HP brings premium sound to your personal computing device. With HP Quad Speakers, HP Audio Boost, and custom tuning by the experts at Bang & Olufsen, entertainment comes to life with sound you can feel.
- SUPERIOR SPEED and NETWORKING: Fast Data Access with 512 GB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX 201 (2x2) and Bluetooth 5 Combo. Security management Mic Mute key; Webcam kill switch, 1 headphone/microphone combo; 1 USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-A (HP Sleep and Charge); 2 USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-C with Thunderbolt 3 (40 Gb/s signaling rate, Power Delivery 3.0, DisplayPort 1.4, HP Sleep and Charge)
- IMPRESSIVE HD PANEL with HD Active Stylus Pen and Thunderbolt Support: Experience exceptional colors and clarity with 13.3" Full HD touch screen (Resolution: 1920 x 1080) for hands-on control and IPS technology for wide viewing angles. 13.3" diagonal FHD IPS micro-edge WLED-backlit touch screen with NBT, HP Active Stylus Pen, USB-C port, Thunderbolt support & SD card reader
- 16GB SDRAM(ONBAORD), Bang & Olufsen Quad Speakers, HP Audio Boost, Fingerprint Reader, ALSO includes a Super Sleek, Super cool, 64GB ULTRA SLIM Tech Warehouse LLC USB Flash drive. A speedy little performer with a great look! Please see picture illustrations for more information
back to menu ↑
- 62% larger touchpad, 5% larger screen, and 5.6% smaller footprint
- 16:10 FHD+ edge to edge display equipped with DisplayHDR 400 and Dolby Vision
- Integrated Eyesafe display technology
- Quad speaker design with Waves Nx audio
- High-polished diamond-cut sidewalls
back to menu ↑
- Clean, elegant design — Thin and light, starting at just 2.79 pounds, Surface Laptop 3 is easy to carry
- Choose from rich tone-on-tone color combinations: New Sandstone, plus Matte Black, Cobalt Blue, and Platinum
- Improved speed and performance to do what you want, with the latest processors – Surface Laptop 3 is up to two times faster than surface Laptop 2
- More ways to connect, with USB-C and USB-A ports for connecting to displays, docking stations and more, as well as accessory charging
- All-day power on the go, with up to 11.5 hours of battery life, plus standby time when you’re away. Go from empty to a full battery with fast charging - up to 80% in about 1 hour
back to menu ↑
- AMD Ryzen 7 4700U Octa-Core Mobile Processor (Up to 4.1 GHz) with Radeon Graphics | 8GB LPDDR4 Memory | 512GB PCIe NVMe SSD
- 14" Full HD Widescreen IPS LED-backlit display (1920 x 1080 resolution; 16:9 aspect ratio)
- Intel wireless Wi-Fi 6 AX200 802.11ax | HD webcam (1280 x 720) | Backlit keyboard | Fingerprint reader
- 1 - USB Type-C port USB 3. 2 Gen 2 (up to 10 Gbps) DisplayPort over USB Type-C & USB Charging, 1- USB 3. 2 Gen 1 port (featuring power-off charging), 1 - USB 2. 0 port & 1 - HDMI port
- Just 0.63" thin and 2.65 pounds and up to 11.5 hours of battery life
back to menu ↑
9.Surface Pro 7
- Features a slate design for providing you with the ultimate portability and comfortable usability
back to menu ↑
- Apple-designed M1 chip for a giant leap in CPU, GPU, and machine learning performance
- Go longer than ever with up to 18 hours of battery life
- 8-core CPU delivers up to 3.5x faster performance to tackle projects faster than ever
- Up to eight GPU cores with up to 5x faster graphics for graphics-intensive apps and games
- 16-core Neural Engine for advanced machine learning
- 8GB of unified memory so everything you do is fast and fluid
- Superfast SSD storage launches apps and opens files in an instant
- Fanless design for silent operation
- 13.3-inch Retina display with P3 wide color for vibrant images and incredible detail
- FaceTime HD camera with advanced image signal processor for clearer, sharper video calls
back to menu ↑
Best Laptop for Writing a Book – BUYER’S GUIDEback to menu ↑
Being on a tight budget doesn’t necessarily mean that you can’t get a good machine. There are several good models on the market so you can find an affordable laptop that doesn’t break the bank.
The good news is that as a writer, you don’t need an extremely powerful processor to support demanding software programs. Programmers, gamers, and photo editors might be interested in a high processor and RAM. Most writers can settle for middle-class laptops that they can use for browsing and writing.back to menu ↑
While you’re busy attending meetings, working while commuting, and making a few edits before sending the final version of your article or novel, you need a reliable battery that won’t disappoint you. Having a long battery life is a big plus when you’re shopping for a laptop.
Finding a power outlet isn’t always easy and as a writer, as you might get your inspiration on the beach or while you’re on a plane. You won’t want to submit your work after the deadline just because you ran out of battery. You should make sure that spare batteries are easy to find so you can install a new one when needed.back to menu ↑
Between getting inspired while enjoying your favorite cup of coffee and moving from your office to a quiet spot so you can write, you need a portable laptop that doesn’t strain your shoulders or back while carrying it around.
Laptops are either carried in backpacks or in laptop bags. This means that the weight of your laptop plays a crucial role while weighing various options so you can find the most practical one. We’ve included some tablets in our picks below, but there is always a portability tradeoff. In the case of tablets, it’s often with functionality – expect less support for popular programs.
A very heavyweight laptop that comes with several impressive features might be tempting, but it won’t suit your lifestyle as an author. As a matter of fact, you don’t need to buy a high-end laptop if it’s difficult to carry. Remember that you’ll go out of town and may often travel with your laptop. This means that it shouldn’t weigh you down.back to menu ↑
With all the enthusiasm, you might press too hard on the keyboard. This means that you should stay away from a flimsy keyboard, even if the computer seems attractive.
You need to make sure that the keyboard is well-built so it can handle everyday writing. Moreover, the layout should be appropriate and intuitive so you won’t spend time trying to find the right letters. Backlit keyboards are practical because they can be used in various light conditions – there’s nothing worse than waking up your partner in the middle of the night when you have midnight inspiration and simply have to get those words down somewhere!
If you’re in the market for an external keyboard to go with your new laptop, check out our roundup here (though note that our top picks all have great keyboards).back to menu ↑
To a writer, a computer is an investment that should provide value for a very long time (don’t forget it may also be tax deductible!). With very limited maintenance, a laptop should work for years delivering the same performance.
When it comes to reliability, laptops should excel at both physical reliability and software wise. This means that you need a durable and well-built laptop that can withstand everyday use. You’re going to take care of your laptop and you won’t throw it around. Nevertheless, you won’t always be around it so it must have a robust body. The hinges and the screen should be made of high-quality materials that don’t show any signs of wear and tear after a short period.
As one example, Apple products like the MacBook and MacBook Air are extremely reliable yet lightweight, so they’re quite practical. These machines feature a robust frame that doesn’t feel heavy or restricting.
As for the software, you have several options to consider depending on your personal preferences. Apple products use IOS, which allows the user to browse the internet effortlessly. You can download your favorite writing software to explore the full potential of the laptop.
Windows operating systems are the most popular choices for most users. While IOS might be more professional and polished, Windows is user-friendly and easier to explore. However, with Windows, regular updates to your antivirus software program are necessary. Otherwise, your laptop would be at continuous risk.
Chromebooks use the Chrome operating system that suits writers who browse the net regularly. The cloud-based storage system means that your data will be safe but you’ll need a reliable internet connection to access your memory. However, you won’t need to install a virus scanner so your laptop will be properly protected.back to menu ↑
Best Screen Display
You don’t need a very professional display the way a gamer does. However, you need a reliable display that you can easily use while reading and writing.
The display should be clear and safe so you won’t feel strained after spending long hours working. Moreover, you have various options regarding the size so you can feel comfortable while writing. A small display means that your laptop will be compact and portable. However, it might not be the best option to consider if you get headaches or your eyes hurt after writing for a long time.back to menu ↑
Frequently Asked Questions
Which laptop is best for freelancing?
The Asus Chromebook Flip is a lightweight yet robust option that won’t disappoint you if you like to move around.
What is the easiest laptop to use?
The Lenovo Flex is practical and comes equipped with Windows 10 so it can be used right out of the box. You should also consider the Asus Chromebook Flip, though it’s more expensive.
Is Chromebook good for writers?
Chromebooks run Chrome’s proprietary OS, which means they don’t need virus protection and don’t slow down with bloated software like Windows machines. They’re fully cloud-based, which means you don’t need to worry about losing work and they boot almost instantly. However, they require an internet connection to function fully, which can make them a pain when writing on the go.
Which MacBook is best for writers?
The MacBook Air offers a solid feature set at a reasonable price point, in our opinion. The MacBook Pro is more high-powered (and heavier), but for writers it’s probably overkill.
What does 2-in-1 laptop mean?
These are tablet/laptop hybrids, usually with a detachable or rotatable keyboard. This means you can use the screen as a touchscreen independently of the laptop itself.
Finding a great laptop, let alone one built for writers, is challenging. There are a lot of great laptops out there and a lot of terrible ones. Some have really uncomfortable keyboards, some are sluggish, and others just have short battery life. To help you find a new writing laptop for yourself or as a gift for a writer, we compiled a list of the best laptops for writers so you can be sure to buy one that is well-equipped to handle your next blog post or novel. Read on to learn which ones we recommend.