Best Laptop for Writing– The above laptops are our favorite recommendations for writers. Laptops make great gifts for writers and great gifts for teachers, so be sure to add a new laptop to your holiday shopping list.
They will hopefully increase your productivity and comfort while you are writing. A comfortable keyboard combined with an extra-long battery life will do wonders for a writer’s content creation. However, don’t forget to get laptop accessories to make the laptop even more effective.
Your writing experience will get so much better with the best laptop for writers. When you start it up, you don’t have to wait for lag or distractions; you can get straight to writing. Each keystroke has a clear tactile click that lets you notice you’re making progress on your work. With the long battery life, you can write the whole day without worrying about it dying on you.
You should, by now, know what to look for in the best laptops for writers. After much research and comparison, I have compiled this list of laptops for writers. These laptops feel great to type on and are fast and easy to use. If you haven’t already, scroll up and click on check price to read customer reviews, and you’re one step closer to your next writing laptop.back to menu ↑
- With the Lenovo IdeaPad 3 15.6-inch laptop, you'll enjoy powerful performance for all types of everyday tasks. Whether you're working from your home office, a student who needs a lightweight laptop for school, or just need a great entry-level Windows computer for entertainment, video chats, and other day-to-day uses, this practical notebook is engineered for long-lasting performance.
- AMD Ryzen 5 3500U Mobile Quad-core Processor 2.1Ghz up to 3.7GHz with Integrated Radeon Vega 8 Graphics, with 4-core processing power that offers incredible bandwidth for getting more done faster, on several applications at once. 8GB DDR4 2400MHz RAM, 256gb 2242 NVMe TLC SSD.
- Expect more from your entertainment with the IdeaPad 3 laptop. The 15.6-inch full HD anti-glare non-touch screen with 1920 x 1080 resolution delivers beautiful image clarity. Narrow bezels on both sides of the display eliminate clutter and help deliver a cleaner, more immersive visual experience. Plus, you'll enjoy crystal-clear sound through two speakers with Dolbsy Audio Take this handy, portable laptop with you everywhere to enjoy videos, streaming music, and much more.
- Standard full size non-backlit keyboard. Wireless: 2 x 2 802.11AC Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.1 Combo; 2 x 2W Speakers with Dolby Audio; Webcam: 0.3MP Camera with Privacy Shutter and Dual Array Microphones; Privacy at your fingertips-- Keep your privacy intact with a physical shutter for your webcam bringing you peace of mind when you need it.
- Windows 10 home 64 bit. Size: 9.49 x 12.88 x 0.78 Inches; Weight: 3.53lbs. Up to 12 hours battery life. Color: Abyss Blue; Google class and Zoom compatible. Bundled with IFT 32GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive, Authorized Sellers ONLY;
back to menu ↑
- Intel Celeron processor N4000, Ultra-low-voltage platform. Dual-core, two-way processing provides maximum high-efficiency power to go.
- 4GB RAM, Plenty of high-bandwidth RAM to smoothly run your games as well as multiple programs. 32GB eMMC flash memory, This ultracompact memory system is ideal for mobile devices and applications, providing enhanced storage capabilities, streamlined data management, quick boot-up times and support for high-definition video playback.
- 15.6” HD ComfyView Display, 1366 x 768 resolution boasts impressive color and clarity, Anti-glare Energy-efficient LED screen.
- [Ports] 2x USB 3.1 Type-C, 2x USB 3.0 Type A, 1x Headphone-out/microphone-in combo jack, 1x Memory Card Reader. Wireless-AC + Bluetooth
- Chrome OS included. 3-Cell Lithium Ion Battery, Up to 12.50 hours. 14.4" x 9.9" x 0.8", 4.19 lbs. TiTac Accessory
back to menu ↑
3.HP – Spectre
- NEWEST 8th Generation Intel Core i7-8565U + NVIDIA GeForce MX150 (2GB GDDR5 dedicated), Windows 10 Home 64 - Dark Ash Color
- 16 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM (2 x 8 GB), 512 GB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD, HP Wide Vision FHD IR Camera with integrated dual array digital microphone
- 15.6" diagonal 4K IPS eDP micro-edge BrightView WLED-backlit (3840 x 2160), HP Active Stylus and HP Sleeve included.
- Intel 802.11b/g/n/ac (2x2) Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.2 Combo, Bang & Olufsen, dual speakers, HP Imagepad with multi-touch gesture support
- 1 Thunderbolt 3 (Data Transfer up to 40 Gb/s, DP1.2, HP Sleep and Charge); 1 USB 3.1 Type-C Gen 1 (Data Transfer up to 5 Gb/s, DP1.2, HP Sleep and Charge); 1 USB 3.1 Gen 1 (HP Sleep and Charge); 1 HDMI; 1 headphone/microphone combo
back to menu ↑
- Apple-designed M1 chip for a giant leap in CPU, GPU, and machine learning performance
- Get more done with up to 20 hours of battery life, the longest ever in a Mac
- 8-core CPU delivers up to 2.8x faster performance to fly through workflows quicker than ever
- 8-core GPU with up to 5x faster graphics for graphics-intensive apps and games
- 16-core Neural Engine for advanced machine learning
back to menu ↑
- 12.9-inch edge-to-edge Liquid Retina display with ProMotion, True Tone, and P3 wide color
- A12Z Bionic chip with Neural Engine
- 12MP Wide camera, 10MP Ultra Wide camera, and LiDAR Scanner
- 7MP TrueDepth front camera
- Face ID for secure authentication and Apple Pay
- Four speaker audio and five studio-quality microphones
- 802.11ax Wi-Fi 6
- Up to 10 hours of battery life
- USB-C connector for charging and accessories
- Support for Magic Keyboard, Smart Keyboard Folio, and Apple Pencil
back to menu ↑
- 13.3 inch OLED Full HD 4-way NanoEdge bezel display with Windows 10 Professional
- Latest 11th generation Intel Core i5-1135G7 Quad Core Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.70 GHz, with IPU)
- Fast storage and memory featuring 512GB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD and 8GB LPDDR4X RAM
- Extensive connectivity with HDMI, Thunderbolt 4 via USB Type C, USB Type A, Wi-Fi 6, and Bluetooth 5.0
- Sleek and lightweight aluminum body at only 2.87lbs and 0.55 inches thick, for comfortable portability
back to menu ↑
- Meet google pixelbook, the high performance chromebook. It’s the first laptop with the google assistant built inches press the google assistant key on your keyboard or say "Ok google" to get started. The google assistant is always ready to help
- Features 7th gen intel core i7 processor, 16gb ram and 512gb for storage. The long lasting battery delivers up to 10 hours of use and it’s fast charging so you can get 2 hours of use in 15 minutes
- 4 in 1 design adapts to whatever you’re doing with laptop, tablet, tent and entertainment modes. Access to favorite apps including google drive, g mail, YouTube, ever note, slack, infinite painter, light room, rob lox and many more
- Pixelbook's super thin and lightweight design measures 10.3 millimetre and weighs 2.45 pounds. Features a 12.3 inch 360 degree touchscreen display, a sleek aluminum body, corning gorilla glass and a backlit keyboard
- Powered by chrome OS with automatic software updates so you’ll always have the latest virus protection. It starts up in less than 10 secs, stays fast throughout the day, and won’t slow down over time
back to menu ↑
- Great performance meets long battery life with the Intel Core i5-1135G7 Processor - up to 4.20 GHz, 4 cores, 8 threads, 8 MB Intel Smart Cache
- 15.6" Full HD (1920 x 1080) IPS Widescreen LED-backlit Display | Intel Iris Xe Graphics
- 8GB DDR4 Memory (Expandable to 20GB) and 256GB NVMe SSD
- 1 - USB 3.2 (Type-C) Gen 1 port (up to 5 Gbps) | 2 - USB 3.2 Gen 1 Port (one with Power-off Charging) | 1 - USB 2.0 Port | 1 - HDMI Port with HDCP support
- Intel Wireless Wi-Fi 6 | Acer Fingerprint Reader | Backlit Keyboard | Up to 8.5 Hours Battery Life
back to menu ↑
- 10th Generation Intel Core i7 (10th Gen) 1065G7 / 1.3 GHz
- 16GB of RAM, 512GB SSD Storage, 10.5 Hour Battery Life
- 12.3 Inch (2736 x 1824 Resolution) 10-point multi-touch Display
- SDXC Media Card Slot, USB Type-C, USB 3.0 Type-A, 802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax Wi-F,| Bluetooth 5.0,Windows 10 Pro (64-Bit)
- Included in Surface Pro 7 i7 16gb/512gb/win pro Bundle: Microsoft Surface Pen –Platinum, Microsoft Type Cover – Black & GizPro USB Type-C to HDMI / VGA / DVI Adapter
back to menu ↑
- 14.0-inch FHD (1920 x 1080) WVA LED-Backlit Convertible Touchscreen
- 11th Generation Intel Core i7-1165G7 Processor (12MB Cache, up to 4.7 GHz)
- 12GB 3200MHz DDR4, 512 GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD
- Intel Iris Xe Graphics with shared graphics memory
- Intel Wi-Fi 6 2x2 (Gig+) + Bluetooth 5.0
back to menu ↑
Best Laptop for Writing – BUYER’S GUIDEback to menu ↑
The list of the best laptops for writers covers both ultralight 10-inch notebooks and bulky 15-inch work laptops.
If you know you like writing outside of your home office desk, weight becomes crucial. Whenever you move the laptop, no matter if it’s to the nearest cafe or when traveling, every pound starts to weigh you down.
10″ is ideal for getting the most portable laptop. A size of 15 inches is the standard for a writer’s notebook. 13.3″ is a good compromise between the size of the 15-inch laptop and the portability of the 13-inch laptop.back to menu ↑
Another thing that will affect writers on the move is the battery of the laptop. Don’t get fooled by the laptop having a large number of watt-hours (Wh). How long a computer will last will depend not only on how large the battery is but also on how fast it consumes the battery.
Unless you’re on a tight budget, you should be able to find a laptop that will last a whole day on a single charge.back to menu ↑
Just a year ago, the standard in the best laptops for writers was a 1 TB HDD. These days expect SSD storage in laptops for writers. An SSD will give faster load and boot times and requires less energy, so you’ll also get the added benefit of longer battery life.back to menu ↑
You’ll usually find an Intel Core CPU in the best laptops for writers. On budget laptops, you’ll often find an Intel Core i3 processor. An Intel Core i5 processor is a good compromise between performance and price. On higher-end laptops expect an Intel Core i7 processor.
If you’re a writer, an Intel Core i5 processor is usually more than enough. A good Intel Core i5 processor will handle writing documents with ease and can handle more CPU demanding things such as photo editing.
In some entry-level laptops, you might find an Intel Celeron CPU. If you compare the Intel Celeron against an Intel Core i3 CPU, you’ll see the Intel Core i3 processor have considerably better performance. If you, for example, compare the Intel Celeron n3160 against the i3-8145U in the Dell Ideapad s340, you’ll see that the i3 have a 93% higher effective speed.back to menu ↑
To avoid unnecessary lag and get an overall faster experience, aim to get a laptop with at least 8GB RAM. 16GB is ideal, but it’s not needed if you’re just going to use the laptop for everyday tasks and writing. 4GB can be alright, but it will lag if you have too many things open at the same time.back to menu ↑
The first thing to look for when it comes to the display is the screen resolution. A larger screen resolution will often improve productivity since you can fit more on the screen, thanks to the added pixels. A resolution of 1920 x 1080 (Full HD) is the standard in the best laptops for writers.
The recommended brightness depends on the light conditions you work in. If you plan to use your laptop outside or in sunlight, make sure it has the right amount of brightness. Aim for a 400+ nits brightness if you want to use it outside.
Color coverage and contrast are not needed when you’re writing, but it can be important when you’re done writing and, for example, watch movies.
Many of the notebooks on the list are touch screen laptops. A touch screen can make the writing experience more convenient, but it’s not a must-have when working on your next novel, book, or article.back to menu ↑
Windows vs. macOS vs. Chrome OS
You’ll find three operating systems in the best laptops for writers, Windows, macOS, and Chrome OS.
Windows is the most common and have the most supported applications. You usually find Windows 10 home as the operating system in a windows laptop.
MacOS is exclusive to Apple products and is known for its effective and powerful user interface. It also some great security features such a FileVault that lets you encrypt data you want to keep safe.
Chrome OS is usually found in Chromebooks and has the advantage that it can run Android apps, but it can sometimes be harder to find Chrome OS compatible programs.
Which is the best? It’s up to you! All three of the operating systems will work flawlessly for writers, and if you ask anyone, they will most likely just recommend the one that they are used to.back to menu ↑
If you want a laptop with the best possible laptop keyboard and the latest hardware for near-instant load times, be prepared to get a laptop in the price range of 1500-2000 dollars.
This is, however, not required for a writing laptop. If you are fine with a 4/5-rated keyboard, a smaller hard drive, and can handle a bit of load time, then you can get a budget laptop for less than 400 bucks.
No matter what budget you feel comfortable with, there’s a laptop for you on this list!back to menu ↑
Frequently Asked Questionsback to menu ↑
How Much Should I Spend on a Laptop?
While your budget is a personal decision, you can generally buy a great laptop for less than $1,000. This list even has some amazing options for less than $500. Unless you’re paying for the brand (MacBooks are more expensive because of the Apple brand), the more you pay, the better specs you get in terms of processing power, memory, battery life, etc.back to menu ↑
What Are the Minimum Specs I Should Get?
We recommend getting at least a 256 GB hard drive, 4 GB of RAM, an i5 processor or higher, and battery life of at least 4 hours.back to menu ↑
Should I Get Windows or Mac?
The decision to get a laptop with Windows or Mac is really a personal decision. If you are used to using a Mac, then get a Mac. Otherwise, Window PCs tend to be cheaper and have more software compatibility.back to menu ↑
Finding a great laptop, let alone one built for writers, is challenging. There are a lot of great laptops out there and a lot of terrible ones. Some have really uncomfortable keyboards, some are sluggish, and others just have short battery life. To help you find a new writing laptop for yourself or as a gift for a writer, we compiled a list of the best laptops for writers so you can be sure to buy one that is well-equipped to handle your next blog post or novel. Read on to learn which ones we recommend.